Author Topic: Lazer pointer training for making a spot?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Lazer pointer training for making a spot?
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:12 am »
I've been reading the 'Instictive archery insights' book. It got me to thinking about something I want to try and am curious if anyone does it. Packing around a lazer pointer to make a district spot on the target before shooting it. Use the lazer to put a bright spot on the target, butn it in your mind, put the pointer away, then shoot while ye image is in your head. Think this would be a worthwhile training for instinctive shooting? I feel like if you do this enough, your mind will eventually make the spot on its own without needing to use the lazer.

Does this sound worth while?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lazer pointer training for making a spot?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:11 am »
Kyle, anything that will help you concentrate on the "spot" should help with your shooting. Just remember that deer won't have a red or green dot on it when the time comes.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:58 am »
Interesting....but remembering where a person holds their bow hand could do the same thing.It would be revealing though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:04 am »
At target distance holding the laser pointer perfectly still might be a challenge.  Your spot will be moving around on the target. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:32:29 am »
You'd probably want to mount it to the bow. Thoughts that come to mind are: You wouldn't want to use it to the point you rely on it. You'd need to find a way to calibrate it. I could see it helping with consistency, if you know it should hit the dot and it's way off what did you do differently?
Trevor

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:51:49 pm »
Maybe mounted on a headband so it points where you are looking. But then there's still te stability issue. It might be easierst as a training tool with a buddy. So they can mark the spot while in a stabil position and you have to hit the spot.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:10 pm »
Why not try some small orange dot stickers. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:45 am »
I know a guy Mo that writes the words FOCUS on the upper limb fade so he sees that every time he shoots.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed