Author Topic: Osage for tips or sijahs  (Read 5648 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Osage for tips or sijahs
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:10:52 am »
An Amish friend I have called yesterday inquiring about my heat bending wood capabilities.Their making high dollar enclosed buggies for the area here having a saw mill on their yard.They had some bowed sideboard problems.3/4" thick by 6" wide side board.Told him I'm not going to guarantee anything but I'll try to straighten it with the board already attached onto the buggy.It worked.Straightened a door frame on one too.
Before I left he says look at this.Would you like it?He said he was maybe saving it for a grandfather clock mantle piece.I said it could work perfect for sijahs on a horn bow.Very fat wide rings.Perfect shape.It's a good 1 " thick.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Osage for tips or sijahs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »
Very nice pay check for your buggy side line there Ed looks like a nice peace for sijahs , I'm going to hunt down some good crotch pieces this winter , what do you think is the best wood to look for in the Midwest ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:44:38 pm »
Are you not concerned with the weight of osage as your siyahs?  Wouldn't a lighter hardwood be more efficient?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »
Aaron & Ritch...Sijahs are'nt that terribly big really.It's been done before using osage.The looks of things go into it too.It would be very nice.
Mulberry is a better choice though I feel and if you'd measure the difference in weight.It won't be much.The same rules apply to horn bows as self bows with weight removed from tips.Every 65 grains removed in weight only gives 1 fps difference.That can easily be made up with a well built horn bow.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:38:04 am »
Not sure how you feel siyahs can be pulled from that. Is it not just an end cut?

The weight issue is obviously not a problem. Less of a strong material is needed which is why slabs of bone replaced wood.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:28:27 am »
Why not Pat looks like solid rings I have seen them used over on Atarn like that ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:49:00 am »
To keep the curly side grain look cutting them around the natural curve as they lay should work fine getting like matched pairs.The rings are the same on the other side.The board is a full 1" thick.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 05:55:18 pm »
You'd have to show how that was lying within the tree.