Author Topic: When do I get to play?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline E. Jensen

When do I get to play?
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:21 am »
Hi everyone, I've mostly been a lurker, but I've posted a couple projects I've never finished.  A byproduct of my circumstances.  Ever since I was 15 I've had a workshop.  I had a workshop in my dorm room (much to the displeasure of my roommate).  I had a workshop when I rented a room from strangers (I rented half the garage).  I had a workshop when I lived in a mobile home (small one in the shed).  I had a workshop when I lived in a triplex (built a small shed in the small yard).  I had a workshop of course when we graduated and rented a house.  Then, I decided to pay my dues and work away from my wife and family for the Forest Service for a summer.  Then grad school, then more work, and a 6 month stint without a workshop has turned into 3 years.

I know that you guys are among the few that understand what having a workshop means.  I suspect some of you are like me. We don't want to be alone necessarily, but left alone.  The workshop is where we can escape, and make magic happen.  I've tried over the last 3 years to substitute. I built a vise mount that goes in the hitch of my truck.  But then I have to drive out into the woods and set up/pack up every time I want to work on bows.  And maybe its a western thing but out here the woods are pretty crowded.  Always people out and about and disturbing your solitude.  Can't blame them, but it seems the people with no problem with crowding are completely oblivious that some people have a low tolerance for crowding.

Over the last 3 years, all the "friends" I thought I had seemed to disappear.  I was working as a full time knife maker and was just getting into bow building.  I was always trying to give good deals and help out "bros".  But as soon as all that stopped, suddenly we weren't "bros" anymore.  I even had one guy who I'd given numerous knives away to basically ($50 for a handmade knife that I normally would charge >$300), and for no reason I could understand suddenly he thought I was the boogey man.  Blocked me and spread all kinds of lies about me.  I just don't understand.  But on a milder note, I just felt left behind.  All my knife making buddies moved on and I was left behind.  Similar with bow building, I see all these cool builds and wish I could come on and participate.  It's just been too hard to try and have that creative energy with neighbors or other people watching.  Its just not relaxing.

Ok, enough with the whining. After some very stressful violent shifts in my career path, we're ready to settle down (let me count, I've moved 9-13 times in the last 8 years, depending on what qualifies as a "move").  We've got two weeks left before out house closes.  We bought a nice country style house in Chino Valley, AZ.  At first I was hesitant because people in Prescott look down on people in neighboring Chino, but maybe I don't like people in Prescott.  Old retired people from California (no offense) with more money and time than sense.  Chino is small, rural, and out of the way.  We're on two acres, and our neighbors have horses and goats.  There's a two car garage that will be an amazing workshop!  I can't wait to build knives, bows, and setup my ceramics studio!

Thanks for letting me put all that on paper so to speak.  It's been a long 3 years and I'm ready to come out and play with everyone. 

Offline osage outlaw

Re: When do I get to play?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:36:25 am »
Your knives are works of art.  I can't wait to see what kind of bows you are capable of making.  Good luck with the new shop!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »
Yes, we all need a good work area and I'm glad you'll finally have a more permanent one.  :OK  After looking at your knife, cup and bow just think what you can do from a new workshop.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:19:31 pm »
pretty nice workmanship on those pieces. could you tell us more about the bow? or have you posted it previously? Glad your shopspace is growing

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »
Will be lookin' forward to much more of your stuff!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:29 pm »
The bow was ~68# osage self bow that I fixed to death.  Originally it was 72" and it was a bit sluggish, so I piked it to 68" with real narrow tips.  It was pulling about 63#.  Dang I miss that bow shot really really nice.  But had a slight hinge a couple inches below one of the tips.  Evening it out, and shortened it slightly to keep the poundage up, but was slightly too short and would unstring itself at full draw (quite an abrupt experience).  Then I broke it trying to recurve the tips :(  I really missed bringing it to the range with all the space bow shooters.  Everytime someone saw it they would guess the poundage and usually they'd say 10# or 20# cause it was just a skinny stick and then I'd have them try and draw it.  I've been trying to build a replacement ever since but just haven't had the gumption to, not without solitude.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 04:55:17 pm »
I am happy to see you posting again, E.  I enjoy your craftsmanship, your attention to detail, and your sense of style. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »
I love handmade knives and that one is beautiful.

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 11:19:29 pm »
Good on you, screw those people. Hope you find time.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:31 am »
Hope ya get after it soon  man
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:02:04 pm »
Well, we got the appraisal today, which was the last hurdle.  We were worried because the upstairs is unfinished and so the appraiser wasn't going to consider the upstairs for any of the value, and if it can in under the contract price then we might have had to pay cash for the difference since the mortgage would only lend up to the appraised value.  Well, it came out to $10 more than we're paying, so yay instant equity lol.  Also a huge relief because I just splurged on row 11 floor tickets to the Bob Seger concert in October.  Should I mention that the young lady on the phone pronounced it Bob Seh-ger......

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:23 pm »
That's a concert that I would love to see.  Have fun.  Congrats on the new house.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left