Author Topic: Coon trouble  (Read 6655 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Coon trouble
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:53 am »
Ed you should sew the kits together and make a quiver, that way the family stays together for life :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 09:33:53 am »
Cute Chris.Your all heart.The coon that got shot were'nt nursing anyway.Besides I already got a coon quiver.A vest & another for my Dad too.I was going to make a quilt once out of coon hides.Had it all planned out too.It was going to take 28 coon.Decided to stick with my buffalo robes.I think I made a bag out of one for the christmas exchange last winter too.I have live trapped a mother and her whole litter before though and relocated them.Took some time but they all stayed together.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:39:13 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:19 am »
Very cool Ed.  You do nice work

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 10:27:10 am »
Very cool indeed. That vest is sweet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:28 am »
I left myself an option with that vest to attach sleeves and a collar too but never got around to doing that.Used to have the surging machine for those projects.By hand can take some time.Made plenty of hats also.Used to sell them for $35.00 a piece.Coon have been good to me.
My Dad used to wear the vest and a coon hat around town which I got a kick out of.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
Hi Ed, We have monkey hands.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »
Yep...They're strong little devils.I used to raise them too.Had a breeding pair long ago.Getting amazingly big when fed good old dogfood.40 to 45 pound coons.I used to siene the flooded water holes in the pastures for crawdads.Five gallon pales at a time.Funny watching the young baby coon try to eat crawdads.They would get them stuck all over themselves....lol.
People think coon wash their food.I think they need moisture to swallow it really.
Boar on the right and sow on the left in their early years.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:49:32 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 09:03:24 pm »
They are tasty also, as long as the gland is removed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 09:12:23 pm »
I had a coworker who had a momma coon & lil one problem.   An exterminator quoted him $700 to remove them.  I told him to go to Academy & get some coyote urine .... put it on cotton balls & throw it around in his attic.. they bugged out that night & I only charged him a coke.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:54 am »
Tower...I'm glad that worked for you.A nice kind way also.Over the years I've been called on to move or get rid of pests people have too.Usually with the live trap.Ground hogs/skunks/possums/coon/and sometimes squirrels too yet.
It's ridiculous the the charge some exterminators charge that's for sure.
mullet...We used to eat coon pretty regular years ago.A friends wife would make tavern meat out of the whole coon.Pretty good really.Yes those lymph glands need to be removed in their arm pits.Practically all of the fat removed also before baking.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 12:04:37 am »
It seems I have a litter of yearlings pestering me here.I got rid of 2.Now a third has appeared.That's ok.I've got plenty of bullets.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:17 am »
I use to trap about 70 a year when they were worth something. Way to much work for $4. They really do have a very nice pelt and nice leather to. The woods coon are always nicer than the barn coon. Everyone thinks they hibernate but they don't truly hibernate. They come trickling out through the winter and they are very hungry. Looking at that vest thinking dang that looks sweet Ed. Might have to harvest and tan a few next winter. Get some real prime before they rub.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:22 pm »
When I lived in the city the neighborhood alcoholic once approached me all lit up saying, "watch out for the city coons around here... they travel in herds and they're as big as German Shepherds!" 

I payed it no mind until one night I went outside and watched 5 or 6 of the biggest darn coons I ever saw come squeezing out the chimney and onto the roof of the abandoned house next door (A)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 11:53:02 pm »
Even the woods coons can get pretty darned big!  I went out with a buddy many years ago on a Friday night, and we bagged 3 that weighed in nearly 30 lbs each and were able to get the hounds put up and fed and still make it to the dancehall to party!  One of his friends said he thought we were going coon hunting and my buddy said we did, figured 3 was enough for one night >:D!  The guy thought we were bs'ng him, because it wasn't even 10pm.  That was before the big city moved out to Wright City, MO area.  May not be enough room to run a coon there anymore.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:23 am »
This crazy thing keeps vermin out of my bird feeders.