Author Topic: Hickory Bow... back at it after two years  (Read 10588 times)

Offline Linc

Re: Hickory Bow... back at it after two years
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 07:52:28 am »
I would say all in all it is looking pretty darned good. Reflexing the tips would help performance some and increase the early draw weight. But the deflex would make the bow a little sweeter shooting. Is the bow still 72"? If it is it should not stack at a 29" draw. So I would say it is your call.

Personally I have not done any heat bending of hickory so I can not give any advice on that aspect. I would also say that this bow should last for a lot of shooting and be a source of pride for a long time.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 09:02:21 am »
So far so good. Nicely done.
At what draw length is the bow?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline scp

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 09:59:50 am »
I would heat treat the belly of tips and reflex it or recurve it a little before I proceed.

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

Yes, the bow is still 72" ntn.

Draw weight : 54# @ 28"

It is coming in a tad light after my last sanding, I guess I took off more than I meant to... was aiming for 60# or more.

I have a feeling that I should put in a couple of inches of reflex, particularly at the outer portion of the limbs - hopefully add a bit of weight and speed. If anyone has a favorite method for shaping Hickory please let me know, I haven't done anything of the sort myself!
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Enjoy your first bow. IMHO.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 12:04:28 pm »
Thanks Jawge, that's exactly the advice I needed to hear, and I will take it.

Wouldn't do to risk destroying the bow when it's perfectly fine as is, especially as it's my first real success and I should get out there and practice... plenty of time to shoot for the perfect reflex on the next one:)

I have already made a string for the bow, went with 16 strands of B-50... Probably an overkill now that the draw weight has gone down, but oh well, I may decide to swap it out for a fast-flight string later anyway... Shoots pretty awesome, have put a couple dozen arrows through it already.

Next step - finish the bow.
After some more and finer sanding, I have a nice dark "expresso" Varathane stain that I will apply, followed by a number of coats of a water based clear coat (I have some left over Varathane "NanoDefense" clear floor finish with aluminum oxide, it's supposed to be very hard and resistant to scratches)...

If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.