Author Topic: Flax backed Field Maple 40# @ 28"  (Read 2474 times)

Offline benbow

Flax backed Field Maple 40# @ 28"
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:50:04 am »
Hello all at Primitive Archer, this is the first bow I have posted after years  of taking inspiration from so many beautifully and we'll engineered bows. Thank you all.

As I have been trying many different woods to make my bows Field Maple was on my list. The stave from which this bow was made came from the gnarly ancient hedgerow near to were I live in Devon England.

Having spent a long time looking I found a slightly re flexed branch suitable. As the wood was so hard, the stave short  for my height and highly crowned I felt this was a good candidate for my first attempt at backing. Having no sinew i looked around the farm for an alternative backing, amongst the junk there was a role of old flax baler twine.

Reading in the TBB that Flax was 7 times as strong in tension and half as light as wood I thought I would give it a shot. After combing out the fibers I started a hunt for adhesive in the end I boiled up off cuts of squire raw hide I had left over from making a hat, turns out it makes good sticky stuff.

After many hours and 3 layers of fibers I finished the tiller and built up tips with more rawhide and bound with red cherry bark. The riser was finished with the skin from the shin of a flow deer more cherry bark and leather thong. Struggling with a bit of stacking  possibly due to the Flax, the hard bend resistant wood or the length? I settled for 40# @ 28" one inch off what I had hoped for.

The bow draws sweet and has good cast but above all it feels safe due to the backing. A good lav er of hard wax has kept the fibers from lifting in places. I want to experiment further with this type of baking next time I will add a final layer made up of straps of cherry bark to further secure the fibers and defend the glue from moisture.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Flax backed Field Maple 40# @ 28"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:53 am »
Wow that is a really nice bow! Good use of natural materials which you had lying around. Cherry bark on the nocks looks awesome!

Offline benbow

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:19:45 am »
Thanks Leonwood. Just had a quick look at afew of yours super beautifully work. Yet more inspiration!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:26:37 am »
Nice one!tiller looks great!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:42 am »
Well thought out construction stages to your homemade material bow there with flax/bark/rawhide/and glue with a very nice successful result.You got some time into that one and good to see it all worked out good.It's what this primitive archery is all about.
Don't know how long your bow is but I suspect the harder pulling at the end of the draw might be the bow just stacking a little towards the end.I hope the cherry bark cover does the trick for ya.
Got a resting pic?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:31:51 am »
That bow campout great, benbow. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:05:54 pm »
Very nice work. That is some beautiful country there. Very appropriate FD pick in a field with the field maple bow!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:33:10 pm »
Nice work!

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:59 pm »
I'm a sucker for a bow made of all natural materials. Well done!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »
Niice, that backing looks awesome, almost like sinew?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:53:56 pm »
Wow man! that's really cool
Welcome to the party!