Author Topic: Rawhide Backing Question  (Read 3976 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Rawhide Backing Question
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »
How do you guys waterproof the rawhide backing if using hide glue? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:19 pm »
I use Tru-Oil just like any other bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 12:54:58 am »
What if I try to glue a rawhide backing with hide glue.. with perry reflex? Would it do work? Or just break off?

It gets pretty stiff when dry..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:20 am »
Perry reflex is just for hard backings. Rawhide adds no performance, only protection.  You can add rawhide to a reflexed or R/D style bow but still only for protection.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:35:22 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:52 am »
I use Thunderbird bow finish. It would sure save some time and effort if rawhide had the tension properties of sinew, wouldn't it?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:48 am »
For finish on rawhide I'm using a lacquer called magna lac.Very quick drying.Works great too although the rawhide does need a few more light passes to do a good job.
I'll have to get into using hide glue to put rawhide on too.Really like that sucking quality.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 05:45:26 am »
I use tru oil to seal, I use TB3 to put it on and usually don't wrap it at all., I do one limb at a time and work from handle to tip with my thumbs , from center of limb to sides pushing out the excess glue and air, I will do this over and over every few minutes until the glue sets , don't take long with TB3 if the weather is good. I do the same with snake skins. If I do wrap I am very careful to wrap light and keep the air and glue pushed out and I work the wrap down the limb, then work down the limb with my thumbs after it is wrapped same as I do if I don't wrap it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 09:10:08 pm »
Good evening, I know its prob. a bit late now to fix what happened but I never wrap my backings. I just spend the time and work the backing be it rawhide, snake skins, fish skins, silk to name a few. I do a sizing coat first and let it dry until almost dry/slightly tacky. I then keep smoothing over it with a wet finger or antler until it starts to set up a little. You can work on another bow or arrows. watch a game whatever tickles your fancy. When it starts to dry and the backing starts to shrink a bit is the danger time when air pockets want to start showing their ugly faces. Just keep working them one limb at a time. I repeat this process until they are stable and glue is about dry and no air pockets are showing. I haven't had a backing bubble on me using this way in a long time.I always use tite bond 3 unless im doing a all natural bow or native replica.