Author Topic: The spirituality of Osage  (Read 2896 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

The spirituality of Osage
« on: May 21, 2017, 08:47:13 pm »
I realize this may be a little "far out," but who else can I share my thoughts with on such a random subject?

Anyway, I've worked with quite a variety of woods, but Osage has this strange effect on me. It happens mostly when I'm chasing a ring... the smell of the wood, the shiny look of it's color, the crunchy sound of the drawknife moving through the early wood, I go into a kind of meditative state, and beyond that I really can't find the words. I sort of feel like I'm going back in time. Back to when things were simpler. No crazy technology, rush to succeed and get ahead of the next guy, phones, computers, strip malls, ect. I think it also has to do with the fact that I'm literally chasing away years of growth, targeting one year in particular when the tree grew well.

Anyone else ever have this sort of feeling? Just wondering  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The spirituality of Osage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:08 pm »
I know exactly what you mean. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:52:58 pm »
There is a certain feeling that we gain by trying to follow the ancestors that is mystical and comforting in many ways.  I doubt they were simpler times, though, what with the newcomer pale faces from the east, and the daily need to feed and protect the family and the people.  The feeling is worthy of a spirit smoke
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:36:38 pm »
If you want to take it a step farther, hunt from an osage tree with an osage bow  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:24 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. Good point HD, perhaps simpler wasn't the right word. Maybe "different" would have been a better choice.  ;)

Glad to know I'm not alone OO.  :)

Maybe I'll get a chance to do that some day.  (AT) :-D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:08:58 am »
I noticed the same thing, I can see an osage tree shining in the winter sun across a field and get a fuzzy feeling about the possibilities in that tree even though I will never cut it.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:23:14 am »
Extremely jealous of you osage guys!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:06 am »
Yes osage has that effect on most people.I can easily see why the natives held that wood in a very high regard.I like to call it rerod when dry heat bending it because it acts just like it.Nothing around here like it.I think even out does most amazonian woods with it's bow making versatility.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:01:48 am »
Start flinknapping!
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:30 pm »
Ssssh, don't speak too much about it or you might scare it away.  Just feel the feels.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:19:39 pm »
I struggled with even posting this cause I didn't want to take anything away from it by lousing it up with words.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:41:01 pm »
Don't worry upstate.Much has been said and resaid about the wood.It's still gonna be here.Seems like it's been put on this earth to serve many purposes.The thing about it is that it does'nt take that terribly long to grow either,or if your in real osage country there seems to be an abundance of it.A very prolific propogater and grower,and for some a fairly prosperous wood to have around,but it'll make ya work for it that's for sure.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:41:06 pm »
I still haven't meet formally with the Osage sprite. Some day soon, maybe even this weekend. For now I communicate with the HHB sprite for we both share the same land.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:44:49 pm »
The HHB bow I plan on hunting with this year came from a tree that stood  less than 30 yards from where I was standing when I shot my first Primitive Bow Deer. In fact all those staves I brought to Marshall last year did.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »
It's the little things in life that are the most fulfilling.
BowEd
Ed