Author Topic: Limb length Turkish bows  (Read 17775 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Limb length Turkish bows
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 08:06:54 pm »
I should have explained that I thought it was ALL material correct and used a wood core. Have to check.
 http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/48852/mini-hornbow#.WSTUxYWcHIU
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:21:03 pm by PatM »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 12:02:09 am »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:26 am »
Ah, He made TWO of them.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 08:27:21 am »
Yes.Old Mike has turned into a referral point nowadays.Quite the talented bowyer.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 09:56:23 am »
So, you are thinking of doing a one piece core...handle and laths from the cedar limb stave, I'm understanding?
1’—>1’

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:27 pm »
A Magyar is a better solution for your stave. Aim for something like 120cm ntn, 150° reflex in the grip with a smooth and large radius. You can use bone plates for the scarfjoint in the grip. The ears around +24cm from apex to the nock, limb to ear angle 140°. Don't use horn plates for the ears, they look silly and don't add alot stiffness, all they do is add more weight and create more trouble.

The ears can either be V-spliced or you can use a scarf joint. If you use a scarf joint, sideplates might be necessary. Antler is the best material for that, but it can be hard to find good pieces. Bone from horse ribs is possible too, but it's pretty messy to process the stuff. If you use plates, note that those were around 0.3mm thick on the originals. The cross-section of the ears was triangular.

Plates add quite alot of weight and it can be a pain to glue on, so if you don't make a heavy bow, it's not worth the trouble. Better make a short V-splice and triangular cross-section ears.

As recommended for a beginner, use even thickness for horn and wood in the limb, 4.5-5mm will be good at that lenght. Expect around 70-80g sinew for a 50-70# bow. You can add 10g on top of that if you feel insecure, for the wrapping of grip and end of the horn you don't need much.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 05:25:30 pm »
I have been thinking about this thread this week while I was on the road  and wondering  why the Magyar would be a better choice over the ottoman style bow of equal reflex , maybe there is some thing I'm missing , would it be performance or stress on the bow or ease of build ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 06:10:54 am »
The rationale behind recommending the Magyar is purely ease of construction: how many laths you could get out of your stave?

If you can get out 2 with thickness of at least 1.5-1.8cm, you can make a 3 piece ottoman, with each lath 70cm comfortably for a 120cm ntn bow. You still need third a piece for the grip splice. Three piece is a bit harder to bend, because the Tip/kasan radius is quite tight and stuff breaks quite frequently if it's not green.

If you can get out 2 laths of lesser thickness, like 1.2cm, you can make a 5 piece ottoman, but like above you need a grip piece to splice and more material for the tips. I prefer to laminate 2 thinner pieces of wood for the tips, those tend to survive the tight radius more frequently.

If it's none of the above, you can make a Magyar.

You will need to make a number of bows before you may wonder about peak performance, first considerations are to keep it simple, stable and to save weight in the ears.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 06:18:37 am »
Ok thanks this is not my thread but glad you joined us over here it's nice to have experienced hands on guys here I'm in the process of gearing up for my first composite I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of materials to go what ever direction needed but thanks so much for chiming in it's appreciated !

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 07:57:24 am »
Good luck with your projects!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 10:14:07 am »
Hear is some interesting handle designs for the Magyar bow & siyas I have seen around the net 3 peace Magyars done with similar to C  with steamed bent single peace core  & 130 Deg  angle , also have seen  2 peace laminated siyas made out of strait grained wood vs crotch wood  every thing about this design seems would be a little simpler then the Turk bow

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 10:15:16 am »
Handles

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 10:15:57 am »
Siyas

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 04:53:18 am »
130° in the grip or in the ear are too much. Both will make the bow unstable and call for problem fixing that shouldn't be there in the first place. The acute angle in the grip will also make it stack earlier in the draw.

Peter Bencsik recommended 150° in the grip to me.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:32 am »
Seems the magyar might need to be sinew wrapped in handle and siyah.The turk version not.
BowEd
Ed