Author Topic: What makes a primitive a primitive?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: What makes a primitive a primitive?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 08:27:36 pm »
I'm with Beadman on the idea of modern tools as a means of expediting the learning process. I use the bandsaw only to cut down on the time and energy required to rough out a bow. From there all I use is a drawknife, a rasp, and sandpaper. What used to take me 6 hours or more with a hatchet now takes me 15-20 minutes.

For me, the real art/skill starts when tillering begins. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 09:08:21 pm »
Primitive bows are made with primitive tools and natural materials.. To me primitive tools are stone tools.
The type of tools the bowyer uses does affect the design.
Here is what I mean.
Flat bellied bows are  products of the industrial age.
Stone tools work best with at least a slightly rounded belly.
I've made bows with stone tools but I do enjoy my hand tools.
Jawge
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:12:57 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 03:01:09 am »
It's a deeper question then just primitive to me.A better and deeper understanding of the sport of archery is gotten I think.Fixing your own problems.
Yeah +1
So many people shooting modern cr4p have no idea how it works or even the basics... and half of them are "coaches" ::)
Now look what you've done, you've started me off  ::) ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 03:18:49 am »
Primitive, traditional, self bow and many other terms are defined by the person using them or an accepted meaning by a particular group of people. If you want to be accepted by a group that defines a term a certain way then you have to conform. Us Primitives don't conform, we adjust. So go out into the wilderness, completely neked and survive. You will be primitive or dead. I would be dead inside two weeks.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 04:51:34 am »
... and if you build a only wood wheely with stone tools this could be considered primitive?  ;D

So the variables could be
1) materials of the finished product (bow, string,arrows, quiver..)
2) tools used to make it
3) building techniques, item design (what if you make a flemish string out of rawhide strips?)
4)religion, spiritualism, belief, superstitions? I bet in the past that played a big part in the construction of this weapons. I doubt that a beer, music experience could be classified as truly primitive  ;D

In my point of view "primitive" is often very close to the "replica" concept
We all agree that a replica is not 100% identical to the original
there are always adjustements, compromise and approximations
I'd consider primitive enough (not stating that is correct, just expressing personal opinion) when conditions 1 and 3 are met.
I also like to use self collected materials but this is an obsession of mines  ;D

Offline dirthas

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »
I've made bows with all hand tools, but I've made most with generous use of a band saw and belt sander.

Every time I lop two pounds of Osage off the belly of a stave using a bandsaw, I have to stop and think for a minute:

How much work would that have been with hand tools?
Would that have worn me out?
What if I had to do all that work with hand tools on ten percent of my daily calories in a loincloth with winter coming and rain pouring and the crops died and a bear ate my dog and etc., or else I wouldn't eat at all?

The result is that even though the means of making my bows aren't primitive, the process gives me a deep respect for those that were truly primitive, an appreciation of true craftsmanship, and a view into a world that I wouldn't get if I ordered a bow online.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:08:43 am »
How quickly did the Real Native Americans adapt to the tools and materials brought by the new people from the east?  Was Ishi not a "primitive archer"?   The various recurve designs go at least as far back as the domestication of the horse.  I think " primitive" depends on which culture it comes from, not necessarily what tools are used to get there.  To each his own! The product in the end and the method
Of making and shooting should be taken into consideration, not necessarily the tools.  On the other hand, I am a user of weapons, not necessarily a maker.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry