Author Topic: Sunburst Osage  (Read 9880 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Sunburst Osage
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
Hello fellas...It's been a while since I've posted a bow.I was meaning to make a sister bow out of the small tree other half sometime.It was'nt quite as easy or took more time than the first[wiggle handled osage] because of the heating,tweaking,resting,rawhide,resting again.I'm sure you get the picture.I felt a pin sliver just begin to come up on this one too pulling to  29".Had some flax and rawhide for that.Ended up this one became a center shot too like the first.Just needed to invert the second one.It came in a little lighter in draw weight and mass weight also.A narrower bow.1/8" difference in width meant 5#'s less draw weight with the same thickness taper.Rounded the belly quite a bit on this one too opposed to a flat belly on the previous one.No flipped tips either,but close to the same length.Overall 5#'s lighter then the first.The previous has 1 more inch resting reflex also.
Decided to do a tribute type coloration on this one like Dean Torges BBO's I've seen.It's 43#'s @ 28".66" NTN.Shoots pretty decent.10 grain[437] arrow in the high 160's to low 170's.12 grain arrow[520] in the high 150's to low 160's after 200 arrows through it.This time with a 3gpp string also.After sanding and shooting in mass was 17.65 ounces.After rawhide and finish 17.90 ounces.Rests with 2" reflex.Fun bow to shoot and best of all I hit something once in a while with it too.Reason being with me is that the last 3 inches of draw gain only around 5#'s of draw weight.0 hand shock.Not the best pics.Some are fuzzy.The full draw top limb looks stiffish in a spot a ways down from the tip but there's some reflex there in the resting position and really believe it's working good and not stressing the rest of the limb by the resting profile it has.So I'm leaving it.I should add after unbracing it shows little stress of set.Around 1/2" to 3/4".Returns quickly but still with an extra 1/8" gain overnight.The outside almost 1 foot on either limb on this bow is'nt hardly working.Maybe 16" per limb actually working.Pictures from the beginning here as a roughed out bow....Thanks for looking.Enjoy.

plain rawhide backing before staining.

after staining with fiebings alcohol leather dye

and the money shot

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:45:27 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Sunburst Osage
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:23 am »
Very nice Ed. I'm sure she's not just a looker either, really like those profiles.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:15:04 am »
Came out nice Ed. Great bend I think.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:23:38 am »
I love the first 3 transformation photos. They're a real testament to what can be done with a stave of osage, a heat gun, and a dream (in the hands of a skilled individual of coarse). I really dig that sunburst as well. Profiles look great!  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »
Great job.  Tiller looks spot on
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:20:24 pm »
Yup... I love to see a 'before' and 'after' shot showing what can be done with a bit of patience and some savvy.
Great job :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »
Very nice. Well done! Uneven limbs to start are always a bit tricky.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 03:37:23 pm »
I love the sunburst on that bow Ed I like every thing about it at that weight it's got to be a fun bow , you really coaxed that one into a fine very unique organic looking bow congrats !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 03:49:54 pm »
Well done Ed!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:10:38 pm »
You sure showed that stave who's boss good job on a tough stave....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:30 pm »
Hey Bead, what's on the tips and handle? Lovin' the look of it.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:32 pm »
Really nice looking bow.  I love the coloring and the tiller looks real good. Definitely looks like a fun bow to shoot.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:48:11 pm »
Good JOB! very nice looking bow.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 08:53:02 pm »
Sweet, classic, love it.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »
Hope to see both of 'em at MoJam. So impressive to see what you're able to tame!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857