Author Topic: Spring turkey camp, Michigan camp.  (Read 8494 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Spring turkey camp, Michigan camp.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:39 pm »
Yup! It's game on here! The toms are workin it. Trying to impress the ladies. Can't wait!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:35 pm »
There getting fired up around here also Dave.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2017, 07:44:44 am »
Well folks, for anybody still pondering the idea of coming to camp. It's not far off. I'll be in camp Friday evening on the 19th. It's now in Baldwin, Michigan. I did some scouting at the first location I picked a month or so ago, and they are doing some intensive logging in the area, and will be for some time.

Anybody, that's interested just send me a PM and I'll send ya back the exact location, and directions if need be. It's going to be a short camp. I'll have to be back at work on Wednesday the 24th. Nice long weekend. I'm thinking we can bring home the turkey bacon in that time.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 06:37:16 pm »
Good Luck Dave, sure sounds like fun. Don't forget to take pictures and fill us in when you get back. Looking forward to hearing about your hunt.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 01:36:43 pm »
Well we made it back from camp alive and well. Unfortunately the turkeys are in the same shape...alive. It ended up just being myself and my 14 yr old nephew. It was a blast. We worked lots of birds, but just couldn't pull them in close enough. With the exception of a lone hen. It was getting to the point where we were ready to give her a name. She clearly liked or company. At one point, we had a group of toms on the other side of the dirt road, private land of course, gobbling to beat the band, but I swear they could all read the sign that said state land open to hunting. They just refused to cross the road. It was fun, and we ate like kings! Our campsite was right on Lake Michigan, as you can see in the pic. It rained a little, but nobody cared. Already thinking about turkey camp next year. I hope a few of you can make it next year.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Stoker

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 04:45:08 pm »
Looks like a blast.. Good times hunting with a young fella.. He'll remember it for years
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 05:08:13 pm »
 :G bummer may have to get in contact for next time...
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:05 am »
Dave it's been so wet, I've been busy trying to get My Yard caught up this Spring. Will try My best to make it next Year  (SH) :G ! Cool looking spot ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:35 am »
Dave,
Looks like a great camping spot.
It appears that your nephew enjoyed the hunt, I wish I could have accepted your generous offer, perhaps next year.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 08:51:48 am »
Thanks guys. It was a little wet. A big major storm just missed us, we kinda lucked out there. It was a good time for sure. Probably be in a different spot next year. I like the idea of hunting different areas. That was my nephew's first hunting camp. He's already making plans for deer camp, bear camp, and next years turkey camp. That's what it's all about right there!! It's never about the harvest, however that is a great feeling as well, but more about the adventure and time in the woods. I wish non hunters could understand that better, but then that's like asking me to understand what it's like to be a girl. :o I'll never understand simply based on the fact that I'm not a girl.

I've got some thoughts on next years camp, would love to know everyone's thoughts. I was thinking about actually starting a traditional turkey tournament/camp for lack of a better word. With prizes for the biggest bird, etc... Who knows maybe someday it could turn into a fairly large shooting event.

Anyway, thanks for watching! I'll be in the turkey woods again in the morning, I'll keep ya posted.

Tattoo Dave

Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »
Bare camp?   (-P
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:08 am »
Yup, Bear camp! I'll be applying for my Bear tag this morning. There's a fair amount of black bears in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I'd love to see some folks come up for that, but non resident tags are very hard to come by. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline chamookman

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 03:13:38 am »
Good Luck Dave  (SH) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.