Author Topic: [Tillering Finished!!!] Well, here goes nothing! (First build)  (Read 35985 times)

Offline hobbyaccumulator

Re: [Tillering Finished!!!] Well, here goes nothing! (First build)
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2017, 10:00:29 am »
@loon thanks for the info I will definitely look into those arrows.

It does seem like the propeller twist is what is going on, or at the very least it has the same symptoms as a propeller twist (it feels like the bow is twisting into or away from me depending on how i hold it at draw). Luckily the issue isnt too severe as i only notice the force when i draw it out and i dont notice any twist just resting at brace. I will have to look into fixing it, hopefully it doesn't reduce the weight too much; and it might not even be an issue i should probably try to fire some arrows with it before it jump to conclusions about forces i sort of feel but cant pin down :p If there is a twist it is definitely a slight one and not a big one though which is good news.

Anyone have thoughts on how to finish the bow? I want to make the grain pop! what lacquer/finish should i apply?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:34:18 am by hobbyaccumulator »

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:03 am »
My favorite to make the grain pop is boiled linseed oil. Just rub it in using really thin coats or it will never dry

Offline loon

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »
seeing that you were active a few days ago... bump! any updates?
I'd consider... oak has lots of tannin, right? So you could do the iron rust/vinegar thing. Could google it. I think that'd make the grain pop more than anything else I know. Then you could use leather dye if you wanna give it color, then oil and shellac. That's what I'd do anyway, there's many ways. Satin poly would be easier after the solution and dye and would look great?

Offline hobbyaccumulator

« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2017, 11:24:53 pm »
seeing that you were active a few days ago... bump! any updates?
I'd consider... oak has lots of tannin, right? So you could do the iron rust/vinegar thing. Could google it. I think that'd make the grain pop more than anything else I know. Then you could use leather dye if you wanna give it color, then oil and shellac. That's what I'd do anyway, there's many ways. Satin poly would be easier after the solution and dye and would look great?

sneaky sneaky!

I haven't had much time to work on the bow lately. I got distracted by two new hobbies i recently picked up: Making virtual reality games with the unity game engine, and ham radio. As you can probably guess my username is showing....

I did some work on the riser shown in these pics

I want to take the bow to a local shop this friday and get some experienced peoples opinions in person on the propeller tilt that i am feeling. Like i said the issue is so slight i can't see it with my eyes i can only feel it when drawn; so i want a pro to take a look and feel. In addition i will use their shooting range and ask them if i may try out different arrows with the bow so i can determine what arrow feels the best for me.

After i shoot with it a little i will try to do some fine detailing to correct any little mistakes and then i will purchase an oil finish (either tru oil or boiled linseed).

So that's where i'm at. I have been lurking here just reading on the local goings-ons but haven't posted due to the relative lack of update.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:28:16 pm by hobbyaccumulator »