Author Topic: Brush knock  (Read 5275 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Brush knock
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
Pat...Here's the rounded out version then.A half inch dowel can go through there just about.The horn sticks over the front edge by 1/16".All edges are rounded over of course so as to not cut the string.Ya think it can handle the string hitting it?
Side view

Front tip view
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »
I used smooth on heated 5 to 6 hours at 150 to 160 degrees to enhance its qualities like the directions said.I'm not doubting the glues strength but am wondering if the horn will split.A strong 1/8" thick horn will be beneath the string in the groove.Another pic.It's rounded pretty good on the sides too.Not the best pic.Kinda fuzzy.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:09 pm »
That looks good and it seems like it would be tough enough.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 11:18:49 pm »
OK thanks Pat.I'll take your word for it.It's good stable horn.I guess if osage can take it horn can for sure.Now the bow's gotta make a bow to my liking.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:30:40 am »
It looks purty but too me it looks a little fragile. I usually over build things though. All you can do now is try it and see.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 09:01:46 am »
I like it better that way, Ed. I think weed stems will slip around it easier and that's the entire concept behind it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:54 am »
I've seen lots of pictures of copies on other threads.Trad Gang etc.The over hang of horn is'nt any more then what I've seen even made of yew.With horn on there I'd say it is a bit over built myself.They all say no detection of hand shock and I'm sure if Mr. Grumley's bows had that it would be addressed.
I rove a lot and hunt also.It's always been a bucket list thing to do as said.Pasture grass seed heads are abundant right now.When carrying a bow roving Dean Torges' bows balancing weight forward with a longer top limb down to avert the back limb tip up from the seed heads balancing in the hand works too to a degree also.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:31 am »
I've seen yours Chris poking around here on a static bend osage.Deer slayer style.Nice.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 11:03:44 am »
Mr. Grumleys design is working well.Even on large headed weeds.Totally satisfied with it's function.I don't think it needs to be quite as pronounced as what I've made it though to function.The string lifts off the brush knock around 22"of draw.Need to use a primitive stringer to get the string on it on account of that but still not much bother.The loop on the string needs to be enlarged a bit too for ease of stringing.
That's a half inch dowel.

BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 11:17:04 am »
Cool! It would be interesting to retrofit some on an existing bow and do some before and after testing. I can see that they would change the brace height without actually changing the shape/bend of the bow. I'm not sure what that might do. Maybe put this on my to do list. I've got no shortage of bows to modify ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 12:44:21 pm »
I think as brush knocks have been done before with minimal differences in performance.This one I'm sure won't be any different.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »
Those are as cool as they are practical very nice !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 01:33:57 pm »
looks really great (SH)

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »
Do you find yourself deliberately dragging the bow through the weeds and glancing back to see them being funneled through the groove? lol

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
Those look great, and serve their purpose as well. Win win all around! :D
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb