Author Topic: Elm Hall - elm self bow raffle  (Read 17034 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Elm Hall - elm self bow raffle
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:26:26 am »
Last year at the Elm Hall shoot several of us made several elm bows of various sizes and styles to be raffled off. It was a real hit and I think the folks looking to win a bow enjoyed it as much as the bowyers did building them. We are doing it again this year. Same format as last year. Build whatever suits your fancy and we will raffle it off. If you wouldn't mind, PM me if you plan to have a bow(s) ready. Brent's momma has volunteered to "man" the table again this year.

Thanks guys!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Elm Hall - elm self bow raffle
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:14:00 am »
Count me in...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Otis

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »
Count me in to donate some money to the cause.  Put in for everyone of them last year and came up with nothing. Didn't bother me a bit though, goes to a great club.  Can't wait to get up there in August.  Keep up the good work guys.

David

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:02:35 am »
I'm in...
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:57:44 pm »
Working on mine as we speak

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:29:36 pm »
Still have a long way to go on mine. Just got the lawn cut and need to get off my butt and go!!!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 12:33:06 pm »
Roughing out elm and bringing the width and thickness down is one of my least favorite task, the stuff is stringy, tears out easily and I end up using the farriers rasp for the bulk after hatchet work. Wish my neighbor had a band saw. :KN
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:17 am »
Roughing out elm and bringing the width and thickness down is one of my least favorite task, the stuff is stringy, tears out easily and I end up using the farriers rasp for the bulk after hatchet work. Wish my neighbor had a band saw. :KN

I know exactly what your saying Greg. I sure is a whole different critter than HHB.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:14:11 am »
I laid mine out and sawed it out yesterday and plan to do an ALB/Hill style bow with it. I hear that Greg, without a band saw elm is no fun at all. Maybe we need to switch over to HHB bows for the raffle. I know there is plenty of that to.

I used the chunk you gave me at Marshall. The piece I cut went haywire on me and I'm not in the mood for a wrestling match with an elm sapling.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:58 am »
So, there's gonna be another elm bow raffle at Elm Hall, huh?
You fellows are making it harder 'n' harder to stay away.    (SH)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:04 am »
Yes sir, I'm hoping for at least five bows. Mike I'm sure you'd enjoy it. Elm Hall is all about eating and shooting. Lots of premium targets on two courses, one quite longer than the other.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:45:06 pm »
Got mine cut out today... but goin on anniversary vacation for a few days... dive into it next week
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:34 pm »
I let mine sit on the AC register the last few weeks. Feels pretty dry to these hands. I'm shaping the limbs down and hope to have to have it ready for heat by bedtime.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:46:40 pm »
Hey Stix and Pearly..
I've always heard ain't true until we see pics.  :) :)  Look'n good Mr. Badly Bent.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 06:45:59 am »
You asked for it big guy  ;) . I got farther than expected last night. Roughed it out, floor tillered and toasted. I'm trying for long and narrow on this one. 70" ntn and maybe 1 1/4" wide.