Author Topic: Elm Hall - elm self bow raffle  (Read 17035 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Elm Hall - elm self bow raffle
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:19 pm »
Gorgeous bow buddy. I'm looking forward to buying a bunch of tickets of my own. The few bows we have should draw plenty of attention. I'm sure Matt will make another(s) knock out to add to the pile. Really looking forward to seeing them all laid out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 06:05:31 pm »
Matt's stave is from the same tree as yours and mine Chris. Your stave from the top and his and mine from the bottom half of the tree, that'll make 3 from one 5" diameter tree.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »
Greg,
Good to see you back.  Man I really like the rawhide thread combo....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 06:54:58 pm »
I think that piece you gave me could very well be the best piece of elm I've used. It sure held its shape nice all along. That's pretty much how I "grade"  bow wood quality.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2017, 05:41:00 am »
Bows are looking good for the raffle. Be nice to see them up close in a couple weeks. Might have to bring some extra money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 09:27:49 am »
Just like Greg, I've been off the site probably since, Marshall.  Have had a busy summer both work and play.  Wee-Wicki and myself have been doing a lot of fishing, there's been gardening, home maintenance projects and a slew of other things going on. 

Thinking I'll check in to PA this past Friday, I read the Elm Hall Shoot thread and then noticed this thread.  Much to my absolute surprise, I had totally forgotten that I committed to making a bow for the Elm Hall - Elm Selfbow Raffle.  "Oh no!"  (Actually the word was, "Shit")  I wasn't even sure where I put the stave that Greg gave me.  So after work that evening, I found and got started on the raw stave.  This was definitely going to be a bonsai, balls to the wall bow build.  I am going to have it done by Wednesday after work, when I arrive at the club to help with the brats.

"What am going I to do?.  I've got to make it special, somehow.  How do I decorate it?  I can't paint very well,"  I thought.  So, I wiped the 1/4" of osage dust off an unmarked box I've had for quite some time.  Opened it up and fortunately, what I thought was in there... was in fact in there.  You know how it goes.  Realizing that this element will add another day to the build time, I calculated it out and thought I might have just enough time to do it.  So, this morning before work, I unwrapped what I'd glued up yesterday afternoon.  I trimmed it up so that I can allow another day in the sun to dry out.  Here's a teaser, of what I have so far.  Tonight, I start putting on a finish.  It is 45# at 28" by the way...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2017, 09:51:04 am »
That is gorgeous, Matt! Cant wait to see it. The table is going to look GREAT this year. Thanks for building the bow and not throwing in the hat. I wouldn't expect less from you.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2017, 09:54:40 am »
Great work guys, I would be thrilled to call any one of those bows my own. 
Matt, you may not be able to paint, but judging by that refrigerator, wee-wicki might end up the painter of the family

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2017, 10:01:57 am »
That's a nice tease Matt. I'm really hoping to be there Wednesday through the night till Thursday morning. Can't wait to see it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 02:56:27 pm »
Got the finish coats on the Elm Hall Elm bow.  Now, off to the club at 5:00pm.  Will put the grip on and make a string tomorrow.  Just in the nick of time...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 06:13:07 am »
@ PEARL DRUMS: what is the tip material you used??
Mighty fine work!
Frank from Germany...