Author Topic: Working on tuning some shafts  (Read 5612 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Working on tuning some shafts
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 11:27:07 am »
I still scatter some around to Jeff, but I am improving. Still have some of those frustrating days when nothing seems to work.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 11:34:21 am »
When you find you are scattering your arrows, walk away. If it is a constant thing, get some well matched arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:33 pm »
I agree Pat, although you gotta start some where and probably going to scatter em for awhile. In that case I say move close. Shoot good groups close then start moving around.
I also agree about the arrows. My cousin who really in a round about way got me started doing this stuff decided he wanted to shoot traditional fg recurves. He got a used bow and some carbon fiber arrows that the guy at the bow shop told him where spined for that bow. They had plastic veins and I told him to rip them off and put feathers on. So for the past year he's been shooting with plastic veins and there getting worn and ripped and he's still haveing trouble shooting. I told him again rip off those veins  and fletch them. The next day he calls me very excited. He can't believe what a difference it made. I told him when he comes here in two weeks to bring his bow and we'll bareshaft some arrows and see what that does for him. If you have arrows that aren't flying right it's just plain bad form to practice with them. If the arrow doesn't know where it's going to go your brain and muscles sure aren't going to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »
Instead of shooting groups, shoot one arrow thoughtfully at a small spot, retrieve it and shoot it again. Start at 10 yards and when you get consistent move out to 15 yards. Concentrate on the "spot", draw, anchor and release all the while concentrating on the spot. I rarely shoot groups. If I have a few arrows I'll shoot each at a different spot. I think when shooting groups each arrow shot interferes with your concentration for the next shots. I'm a hunting archer and I know I only get one shot so I try to make that shot go right where I'm looking.
 Another practice I do is shoot at a small object hanging about 3' in front of the target butt. I use a piece of rigid metal conduit bent into a "U: shape with the ends stuck in the ground. I hang a small object by a thin string and shoot at that. I use the seed pod from a magnolia tree. It is about 2"x3" and sometimes I use something smaller.  Also when hit the small target swings back and forth adding a little more interesting target to shoot at.
  If you shoot at a basketball size target you will generally hit the target but not necessarily in the middle. As the target size decreases, say to softball size, you still can hit the target and you will be closer to the center because the overall size is smaller. Now shoot at a ping pong ball size target, the arrow is even closer to the center.  This is what the phrase "aim small, miss small, means. So concentration on only a small, uncluttered spot should put your arrow close to the center of that spot so if your spot is only 1/4" that's a pretty good shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:20:47 am »
Pat - Good advice on targeting small objects, should help picking out the right spot on game!  I will have to try that!

Finally got my shoot arrows from the trade material spined, nocked and points glued on(125 gr) and got out to the range to test fire.  Results were mixed >:D at best!  1.  I used my 45# fg long bow that I haven't drawn in about 40 years, I did rework the string from scratch. 2. I am not in good form, and even had to redetermine my point of aim,  3. Got to the range while the 4H kids were shooting - did reestablish contact with their coordinator to possibly do a bow hunter safety course :)!  4. Managed to keep all the arrows in the butts at 7 & 10 yards, got good hits on the kiddie "dinosaur" target.  The finished 2 fletch arrow I posted shot well, 4 arrows "tilted" left at 7 & 10 yards(I shoot left handed) the other four were pretty well straight on.  I plan to shoot again with my 50# Bear Kodiak to see if there is a difference, then tune to it.  All the arrows except the fletched one are numbered and marked for the stiff side.  Arrows are 32 inches, my draw length is 26-27 inches, so I have room to shorten, if need be, but I like a longer arrow.   Just have to find my 2blade broad heads now, steel is required in Colorado  Hope to shoot tomorrow morning guys before it gets hot! 

Any advice will be appreciated. I will try to post some pictures of the semi groups tomorrow
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry