Author Topic: Bend limbs to match handle or cut handle to match limbs?  (Read 6082 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Bend limbs to match handle or cut handle to match limbs?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 11:49:16 am »
Kyke i think it looks about perfect honestly.  Because black locust likes to chrsyl, id leave it be. Though I am tempted to say mor deflex and added recurve would be good..... if it were osage.... of course, you can still do that later after the now is tillered if you feel like it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 11:54:42 am »
I'll get it bending a bit. Once it gets back to about a 20" draw, I think I'll be able to make the curves stay where I want them. The limbs are still about 1/2" thick on average and should thin down to about 3/8" or a little less when done tillering. I'll use the same clamp, block setup, but use taller blocks midlimb to get more curve in the limbs. I'll try to bring the fades back a bit more to keep the tips from getting too far infront of the handle.

Kyle

Just read this. Perfect plan. Kust know, as you deflex the fades, your draw weight will drop, and despite that you recurve the tips more to offset that, the draw weigjt will not go up as much per inch of reflex as it does per inch of reflex. I havent experimented yet to find out how much difference it makes but I know it does. So, do that slowly. You may be able to even get it to 20 inches at your desired weight, and deflex it until you are at 28, then recurve it until you get your string tension up and tiller again with only a few inches left to go.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 11:02:30 am »
Here's how it is looking at the moment. It's been pulled to a 20" draw and full braced. The string tracks through the center in the middle of the handle and angles so that its almost to the edge of the handle at the arrow pass. So perfect to me. Right now im debating on leaving it as is, or doing one more bending session. I'm letting the guy whose getting it out in his preference. I'm debating on three options. Leave it be, try to bring the right to match the left, or match the left to the right and reflex the outer half of the working portion to bring the tips back up. I'm leaning towards leave it be. If it was osage I would bend it without a second thought.

The right limb is the bottom, so as I leave it a bit stiff, it'll look more even. And I'm currently waiting on some super glue to dry before I sand ye back and sides clean. I left them rough till this point.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 01:24:22 pm »
I personally would probably flip the tips a little more. But it sounds like its doing pretty good as is.  Sometimes you got to leave good enough alone. Can't wait to see it!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 11:56:15 pm »
You know that piece of wood better than us. If you feel you shoukd stop, then stop.