Author Topic: The next step...  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Iowahedge

The next step...
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
Finally have a bow made that  was decent enough tiller wise and aesthics to take to a bow shoot over the weekend.  Have to say it was extremely fun to shoot the bow. My problem/question is the bow came in at about 33 lbs @ 28". Im shooting off the knuckle, and i would guess roughly 1/2" off center of the bow. The arrows I used were not primitive in anyway and I'm fairly certain over spined and rather heavy.   I'm wondering what diameter and length would be best for some good ole garden stakes. Or something along that lines. I figure most of the build alongs that say 3/8" or 10 mm are for a bit stiffer spine than what Im needing.  Got more bows in the works (doesnt everyone) that will hopefully come in at at a heavier weight, and should be easier to find shafts for.  Would  like to get this one set up with some arrows cause Im new to PA and I can work on form. I would think even being a lighter draw weight if i get some lighter shafts tuned it can perform will enough to shoot some more events. Cause even with my poor shooting and mismatched shafts have to say that it was a blast. Can check shooting a bow ive made at a event off the bucket list. 

Offline DC

Re: The next step...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:29:15 am »
If you use bamboo garden stakes buy the 4' ones. With the variance in diameter and the ability to position a 30" arrow anywhere in the 4' you can come up with just about any spine you want.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:25:46 pm »
My experiences with bamboo garden stakes is that the same 5/16 diameter bamboo can spine out at 25#, 45#, 75# or 95#.  If you have a lot of bamboo stakes, I started with 300, and a good spine tester you can eventually find a handful of bamboo stakes that will meet your needs.

Much simpler is to go to Lowes or any other big box home improvement store and pick through their collection of 5/16" poplar dowels.  Most of those will spine somewhere between 35# and 45#.  Just make sure to pick the ones with the grain running the whole length of the dowel.  I can usually find 6 or 8 usable ones after picking through 40 or 50.  I have some poplar dowel practice arrows that I have been shooting for 3 years.  They have been shot hundreds of times and I have only had to do minor repairs.

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:17 am »
What length flecthing should i go with?  70 or 100 grain points?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:35 pm »
The  longer and taller your fletching, the faster your arrow wil straighten out. It will also makes more drag and slow your arrow down. Ideally a well tuned arrow will fly straight without fletching. I really try to get people to shoot a arrow before they fletch it. It is a real eye opener and you can learn a lot from it. A well tuned arrow will straighten out without flectching. To stiff flies sideways tail to the right for right handed. To weak tail to the left for right hander
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:27:49 pm »
What do you want to use the arrows for? Just target shooting? At what distances?

To stiff flies sideways tail to the right for right handed. To weak tail to the left for right hander
I seem to get tail right most of the time, or the bare shafts fishtail and do all sorts of wonky stuff at longer distances. Unless my release is good. Can a bad release make stiff shafts appear weak?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 09:32:49 pm »
What do you want to use the arrows for? Just target shooting? At what distances?

To stiff flies sideways tail to the right for right handed. To weak tail to the left for right hander
I seem to get tail right most of the time, or the bare shafts fishtail and do all sorts of wonky stuff at longer distances. Unless my release is good. Can a bad release make stiff shafts appear weak?
Yes bad release will effect bareshaft results. Also stand close to target, about 6 yards. You want the arrow to straighten out quickly. Sometimes you can spin the arrow half a turn on the bow and it will shoot good. Usually the stiff side towards bow handle is best. For me a clean release I just relax my fingers, don't try to open them just relax them and let the string do the work. It's actually harder to get a good release on a lighter bow but good way to practice
Bjrogg

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »
Loon - Id like to use it for 3D course till I get a better one built. This weekend was my first ever wheel free shoot so I dont have much to compare distances to. Im going to assume it was a fairly normal course set up with lots of decent distances and a few what i consider long shots.  Got some 5/16th dowels today to start working on some hopefully better spined and lighter arrows. Id really just like to get good arrow flight and have enough punch to stick in the target at distances you'd see at a 3D shoot.
Bjrogg - my current arrows are non primitive in anyway. There 500 spine 29.5" with 125 grain points. Between what is Im pretty sure is overspined and heavy arrow and my lackluster shooting skills. Theres plenty of room for improvement. Im certainly not getting a very straight arrow flight path. Ill hopefully weed through my "shafts" and find some good flying ones before i fletch them.
Thanks everyone for the replies. It has really helped the journey up to this point.  While I dont reply to many post Ive read tons and its great that some many talented people are willing to share there knowledge to help others out.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 06:25:32 am »
If what your making is wood, that's Primitive enough for me. I strongly encourage you to try shooting arrow at target without fletching from five yards. Mark one side so you know which way you put it on the bow. Try it both ways. Post your results and maybe we can work up a plan.
Loon if your tail is usually flying sideways tail right, and your right handed shooting off left side of bow. That would indicate to stiff. You could try longer shaft if possible ( obviously not with the one your shooting) or heavier point. Both will make the effective spine act weaker. It can take some time to come up with the right combination but once you do you if you have a spine tester, or want to buy spined arrows you know what you need to duplicate. It really takes almost no time at all to shoot one bareshaft to at least see which way you need to go. Good Luck even if you get close can make a huge difference. The first time I shot one bareshaft it flew right sideways.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
I remember that with left=limp and right=rigid