Author Topic: hafting  (Read 6096 times)

Offline flecha

hafting
« on: March 17, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »
I tried hafting some delicate little Gunther Barbed points I made.  Now I'm scared to shoot at anything with them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: hafting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:33:31 pm »
Not as scared as your target!  Nice points. 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:18:39 pm »
That's some detailed knappin flecha - like them points. Don't practice with em :-X. Wonder how well your arrows fly - I've started making my points quite a bit heavier lately. Don't know how many grains - no scale :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline flecha

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 01:03:31 pm »
Thank you Cowboy.  I really like this style of points as well.   I've not weighed them to know how heavy they are either, but they are small and lightweight.  I like to "think" they'd work because they are made to be congruent with those found in the archaeological record.  I don't know though.  The one thing I do know is that deer are safe with me in the woods... I'm just not that great a hunter.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:04 pm »
Just curious :). Have fun with the hobby - that's what it's all about ;). Show more of your work as ya git em done..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:07:07 pm »
  Cool looking points fletcha. Those are the ones that make me want to pull hair. Ahh,just one more flake, or that barb is not the same as the other one,,snap! I've been making my hunting points around 175 to 190grns. I've found that with that much weight forward they fly great,so I don't test shoot them as much when I know the arrow spine. And they get good penetration. And before this debate gets going again, they are about an inch and a quarter wide by two and three quarter long and real thin. Big Wide Hole.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline flecha

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
Mullet, since I am new here, what debate did you reference?  Have I violated a rule?
Arnold Rojas

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:10:01 pm »
I will have to disagree with you Eddie. I think your points are waaaaay to heavy and waaaaay to long so you might as well just send those to me and make yourself some decent ones ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D!

Flecha, you the same fellow that made me some obsidian hunting heads a few years back? If so, then thanks again, they worked out great! Oh, I think this is Eddie's day to play bad cop! ;D -ART B

Offline flecha

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:16:33 pm »
Yeah, I used to come here a lot, but then went over to PaleoPlanet during the "exodus".  In the mean time this site got blocked at work and so I couldn't even check in every now and then.  Recently this site came unblocked at work and so now I thought I'd check in and see what's been going on.  Like you said it has bee a couple years and so I feel new here...again.

Glad to hear you were happy with the points, but honestly, I can't remember that transaction.
Arnold Rojas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »
 Fletcha, Naw, You didn't break any rules. I was just kidding around. Everytime somebody post about big points it goes on forever about the disavantages of heavy points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »
Glad to have you back Ryan!

Here's a pic of your work.  Bottom one is yours, pitiful one on top is mine. Gave the arrow hafted with your head to a friend and he went straight home and killed a nice buck that very evening with it. Go figure!-ART B

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline flecha

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:43:13 pm »
I'm glad someone can kill something with my work... I sure can't.   ???  Several years ago I told myself I wouldn't rifle hunt until I killed a deer with my primitive tackle, well, I've been close, but like so many I just have excuses and stories, no meat.
Arnold Rojas

Offline flecha

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:48:29 pm »
Glad to have you back Ryan!

Here's a pic of your work.  Bottom one is yours, pitiful one on top is mine. Gave the arrow hafted with your head to a friend and he went straight home and killed a nice buck that very evening with it. Go figure!-ART B

What did you use for glue on your hafting?  It looks like you coated the binding with it.  Did it double as a waterproofing agent? 
Arnold Rojas

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:37 pm »
Ryan, I used the Tite-bond II glue to bond the sinew and then coated with a stain and varnish mixture after that had dried. Tite-bond III is even better glue for this application.-ART B

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 09:12:24 pm »
I'll second that - tb III ;D..