Author Topic: Latest composite prodigy/finished/with arrows  (Read 38367 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Latest composite prodigy
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
Pat I had the same thoughts as you but after doing my home work & studying composite design that if I was looking for performance out of a strait native composite design compared to self bow /sinew it wasn't there with the fine balancing act between keeping mass low length short ,reflex high and not having a bow that would stack like crazy so I'm working on a 53 in. Hybrid design bendy with 9 in. static recurves , Ed has his design down to a art after all his R&D of hard knocks he has done , making one of his would be the path of least resistance with his work as a reference but it's a lot of fun trying a new design and doing the research , let us know which way your going.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:37:54 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 02:35:49 am »
Thanks Ed,  looking forward to seeing what bow you put on the table at mojam! I won't be taking it home though, funds are low for me this year. 
Ill keep doing my research on horn bows.  And keep your advice in mind.  Sure would like to hunt with one!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 07:39:08 am »
Patrick..I found that hunting with one is a bit harder then with a self bow.That's just me though.I need more practice.On a target range they are a lot of fun for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 05:18:43 pm »
That bow looks so sweet Ed. I love your work. I really need to check out this horn bow section more often
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 09:36:17 am »
Thanks bjrogg.You make some fine looking bows yourself like others on here.
I found the most conclusive way to finish one of these is to shoot it in very well.At least 500 arrows before finishing.Long stringing times.Getting it to settle properly.If there is any slight imbalance that keeps occuring that can't be corrected by pressure or heat then material removal is required and more shooting in.Patience.Once the finish is on I don't want to have to take the finish back off anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:21:34 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
During this time when it's got no finish do you keep it in a hotbox or something? Maybe it's dry enough where you are.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 01:24:39 am »
I just keep it in the house on a bow rack around 50% humidity.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 08:10:09 am »
Pat I had the same thoughts as you but after doing my home work & studying composite design that if I was looking for performance out of a strait native composite design compared to self bow /sinew it wasn't there with the fine balancing act between keeping mass low length short ,reflex high and not having a bow that would stack like crazy so I'm working on a 53 in. Hybrid design bendy with 9 in. static recurves , Ed has his design down to a art after all his R&D of hard knocks he has done , making one of his would be the path of least resistance with his work as a reference but it's a lot of fun trying a new design and doing the research , let us know which way your going.

I built a straight limbed na style hornbow that i gave badly bent , that little sucker was screaming fast, maybe i just got lucky🤔
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:04 am »
bubby, did you post that bow here on "Horn Bows"?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:24 am »
Composites are a different animal as far as speed goes it seems.More manipulation conditioning and environment.No matter how much shot or braced if tillered good while braced they maintain energy and they return.That's my take on it.Ease of draw for accuracy counts too at least for me for hunting reasons.Screaming fast is a term used a lot for a general description.Speed of over 200 fps with a 10 gpp arrow I would call screaming fast.Not discounting the NA design any though.
This bow in a way is an experiment in the sense of durability.I expect 10,000 shots at least myself to call it a success or a lifetime liver.Performance wise I'll see if it's a screamer.The previous one was.I feel the working limbs are too long yet.Getting the most energy out of a shorter working area with low mass I feel would do better with high reflex of  8 to 12 inchs.
Then it's a matter of clean arrow flight to put everything together.I'm seeing good arrow flight with a 30" long 50 to 55 spine arrows on this 48 to 50 pound bow but have not distance shot it yet either.I will do the testing on this bow and let the chips fall where they may.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 09:43:53 am »
bubby, did you post that bow here on "Horn Bows"?
I did Pat, here it is again, not a ton of reflex
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53228.msg721438.html#msg721438

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
That's more of what I was thinking...even back then apparently. Thanks bubby.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:54 pm »
Bubby that's a beautifull bow I wasn't at all trying to berate the NA design sense Ed mentioned to Pat that I was making a similar bow I wanted to qualify which direction I was going I'm looking for a higher stressed design to take advantage of the materials is all , looking for close to 200fps 10 gpp potential ! 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 02:11:47 pm »
That is a very nice beautiful bow bubby and can see the time it took to make it.I would'nt of minded shooting that one once.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »
Didn't mean to hijack the topic, just posted that link for Patb