Author Topic: Finishing the shafts  (Read 2821 times)

Offline jaxenro

Finishing the shafts
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »
What type of finish do you use on the shaft and do you put it on before or after fletching? Does it interfere with the fletching glue?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finishing the shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:43:57 pm »
Finish generally goes on before the fletching and you will have to have a glue that is compatible with the finish.  I've used water based poly, Tru-Oil and shellac as a finish. I've found fletch tape works well on all of these. I used to use Duco cement butb it has been hard to find lately.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:21:23 am »
I've always used Spar Urathane out of a rattle can, before fletching. I use Duco also Pat - just got a new tube from 3Rivers  (SH). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 01:48:25 pm »
Not saying what I do is right, but here's what I do. I usually paint on my markings and let dry. Then I spray on a coat of poly, scuff and then a coat of tru oil. Then I flecth. I scrap off paint and sealer just where fletching goes with my knife at 90 degrees. Then I strip my feathers and glue on with TB2. I put a very light coat on shaft where I scraped and fletching. I sometimes set heat gun on low setting hold a little bit away to speed up drying glue. After I'm done fletching I wrap quill front and back with sinew. When everything dries I put another coat of sealer on especially over sinew. I'm sure this isn't the easiest way but TB2 is what I have and it seems to work good all though it dries a little slow.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 02:24:13 pm »
Make a dip tube, you won't regret it. I only make a dozen or so arrows a year but repairs and refreshing the finish is so easy with one of these. If a shaft looks a little shabby dip it in the tube and hang it to dry. Takes 15 seconds and is done in the morning. I fill it with water based poly diluted 1:1 with water. I know for a fact if I had to get out a spray can or bushes it would never get done. A happy coincidence is that a coffee can lid fits a 4" pvc fitting.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »
DC, your dipping set up is a great idea! I'm going to build a stand like that for my dip tube. Thanks for posting that.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:29:14 pm »
I got the idea from a youtube video but I can't find it now. I have very few original ideas :D

I looked again and it came up first on a google search. Someone named Woodenarrows posted it
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:32:44 pm by DC »

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
For primitive arrows I have not finished them in American terms. They are greased when straightening shoots and burnished, or boned, closing the wood pores. I have had very good luck with heavy wood such as Viburnum and rose, but didn't fair so well with Dogwood and Hazel as they warped on me.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 07:33:39 pm »
Here ya go, DC.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=yjK-Mw7EK-Q&t=33s
Delete [space] between "u" and "t".
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857