Author Topic: Leading shoulder buckling problem  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Leading shoulder buckling problem
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:15 am »
I've been trying to work into some heavier bows, but have been having problems with my leading shoulder wanting to buckle inward. I've got to the point that I can handle about 70# with my normal draw at 26-27". But when I try to bump up to 90-100# at 30-32" area (wanting to play with warbows), my leading shoulder wants to cave in so I end up stopping my drae at about 26-27" with no stability. I've been trying to push out with my bow arm while pulling back. I'm wondering if using more back and focusing between the shoulders would help to fix it. I've also thought about locking that arm out before starting the draw cycle. The bow I've been trying to shoot is a 70" osage bendy handle that is is pulling about 90# at 30" and seems o stack quickly. So I'm sure that's having an effect.

Any tips on keeping my shoulder stabil is appreciated.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Leading shoulder buckling problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:40:28 am »
Lighten up!  IMO, it's not worth ruining your body just to shoot heavy bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:28 am »
I agree with Pat. I have no qualms with super heavy bows, just never understood the "why" behind them. But, that's coming from a guy that hunts with his bows and that's it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:32 am »
If it hurts, don't do that!  You 're pushing too hard, too fast!  An injury ain't worth it.  Try getting some heavy weight rubber therapy bands to build yourself up slowly, but very slowly!  10-15 reps maybe 2 or 3 times a day, then either add some pull, or reps, or increase weight.  But not all at once!  Old medic has spoken :D >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:42:59 am »
It hasn't caused any pain when that shoulder collapses in.  Though I can tell it would do some damage if I kept pulling through the collapse. Truthfully I have no big reason for wanting to shoot the heavy stuff, I jusst find them interesting and want to learn the techniques needed to use them properly. For hunting purposes I'm more than happy to stay in the 60-70# realm. I've had a couple instances of shoulder and humurus hits that didn't penetrate enough to be lethal. I feel like if o can handle a heavier bow that flings a 700+gr arrow with good speed, then it might be able to help bust through when my aim is a little off.
I've been hitting the gym quite a bit again, with a more structured routine that focuses on shoulder and back strength. Pull up/chin ups, overhead press, Kroc and pendley rows, the three variations of bench press, and deadlift. Those are my main shoulder and back excercises each week with other stuff around that for legs and core. A few days ago I joined a jiu jitsu class, that is a lot of fun, but made me realize just how low of stamina I've got. Between those two thing, if I don't tear myself down somehow, I should be able to build the strength to get where I want to be. Then it's just practice to make my body know how to use the strength properly. I've got some of the heavy weight bow trainer bandsaws don't have any trouble with those as heavy as they are supposed to go.
Anything else that I can add in to do is appreciated. I think I've built up a fascination with the heavy bows from reading old books and too many stories of dangerouse game hunting where the heavy gear is needed.

Kyle

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
Lighten up and work on your form to pull heavy bows properly (and avoid any collapse), and might have to stretch/strengthen certain muscles, get used to have the shoulders/arms rotated into position. Balance your pulling, alternate handedness.. don't know about shoulder impingement

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 08:18:57 am »
Shoulder injuries take forever to heal to a useable level of less than original strength. some never do. Caution - especially in cold weather and without warming up, stretching, and loosening your muscles.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 10:01:06 am »
I've been back to hitting te gym and taking BJJ classes a lot lately. So in hoping thatll help get my shoulders built up enoug to get ye heavies back. With lots of croc and bend over rows to target my back. With bench and overhead press to even out the other sides. Also several sets of pull-ups and chin-ups every time I'm in the gym. I try to get them starting in a slack arm hanging position. I'm just a few weeks from being able to hit triple digit croc rows. I feel like knce I can get over 100# there, that it'll help a lot. I need to start building bows thatre incrementally heavier. I think my next will be a 70# and then build up in 10# increments from there. Then in time in hoping to get into the 130# persimmon Im about to finish so I can see how it performs.

Kyle