Author Topic: New here, new to bowbuilding  (Read 6044 times)

Offline SDC

New here, new to bowbuilding
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:20:20 pm »
Title says it.  I've been an archer for over 30 years, bowhunting for almost that long, and have shot compounds and traditionals.  However, other than a tiny sassafras "bow" I built as a kid, I've never built or shot anything "primitive".  That's about to change, and I'm hoping to get guidance from y'all on how to go about this.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: New here, new to bowbuilding
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:24 pm »
Welcome to P.A.   You came to the right place for guidance and help on building self bows.  Post pictures and ask questions. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:27:21 pm »
Welcome SDC. Like Clint said, you've come to the right place.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:10:24 pm »
Welcome to PA, I think you'll really like it here. A lot of very nice people giving good advice on making, shooting and hunting with primitive bows, arrows and even stone points. I can't believe how much I've done and learned in the last year and a 3 months since I became a member. Like Osage said don't be shy, ask questions. You may get five different ways to do the same thing but they probably all work. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:05 pm »
Welcome to PA! And to the obsession!
Just do as Osage outlaw says.  There are some of the best Bowyer's in the world on this site.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Emennis

• "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at"HT
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:45:25 am »
Welcome,
   I'm also new, though much greener than you in archery (3rys), I have created a self bow, and it certainly is a special experience the first time, and now I worry about breaking it lol. I might also have to take peoples advice on the making a new self bow. I had loads of help the first time, and I'm sure, you and I both won't be able to stop people from wanting to share their knowledge.  ;). Good Luck!

Erin
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker