Author Topic: Flea market find  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Flea market find
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
I went to the local weekly flea market this morning looking for anything for bow or gun building, drawknives, chisels, stacks of sandpaper or what ever.

I walked by a pick-up with several guns in the back and noticed a TC Grey Hawk leaning against the cab. Now, I need another BP gun like I need a hole in my head but had to ask what he wanted for it, $100 bucks he said. He said he didn't know anything about BP guns and took the TC in trade.

I looked down the bore, dang, it looked pristine except for a little dust. The nipple didn't have any of the typical flattening from use, I suspect this gun had never been fired.

I looked in my wallet and only had $95, the seller looked at my wad of cash and said "sold".

I took the gun home and cautiously ran a cleaning patch down the bore expecting rust, it came out a little dirty but normal for a gun that had been sitting up in a corner for at least 15 years. A few more patches and an inspection with a bore light confirmed it was a pristine barrel.

I suspect the gun is worth around $200, possibly a little more, my first good flea market find in a while.

Offline TrevorM

Re: Flea market find
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
Wow that was a great find!
Trevor

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »
Nice find.. If nothing else it could be a nice starter gun for some young fella..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:42:46 pm »
I have been watching for something like that to show up, but no luck yet. I have plans for a radicalized stock converting it to a assault/bullpup configuration. The trigger to lock connection might be long link, but it is doable, very doable.   )-w(

Tacti-cool muzzleloading!  Could be the next thing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:53:48 am »
I told pappy I'm gonna put a scope or a red dot sight on my blunderbuss  8)

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:23 am »
I think you "hit a lick" on that one.  :OK
( as they say in the auction business out here..  ;) )

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:07:09 am »
Nice find, Eric. I used to have one of those and it's a nice shooting rifle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:30 am »
Never seen that model from TC. Nice pick-up Eric.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:56:44 am »
As near as I can tell they only made this model in 93 then discontinued it. They made a similar blued barrel gun called a Thunderhawk and a short barreled gun called a Treehawk around the same time, these other two guns were in production for 3 or 4 years before they were discontinued.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:13 pm »
My buddy had a Treehawk. It was factory camo I believe. I always wanted that gun, but never procured it :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:20 pm »
I used to have a TC Firehawk.  It looked similar to yours except it was inline.  I traded it towards a .44 revolver.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:57 pm »
I was going to leave the gun pristine but decided to shoot it to see how it grouped. With 75gr of 2F, a .490 ball and a .015 ticking patch it would shoot about a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards but the group was about 4" high with the rear sight bottomed out. It shot dead on with a Maxi Hunter but grouped poorly with 75gr, I didn't try a different load.

I took the standard rear sight off and replaced it with a TC fiber optic made for a New Englander. The standard front was .475 tall so I replaced it with a Williams fiber optic that is .530 tall. This should give me some elevation adjustment for shooting round balls.