Author Topic: Anybody try mahogany?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Anybody try mahogany?
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:54 pm »
I'm curious if anyone has tried mahogany for areows and what they thought of it?
I can easily find perfect grained boards at menards so I figured why not. And turned out a couple dozen 3/8" shafts. One board was much more dense than the other turning out ahafts around 450gr and spinning around 70-75 pounds and the others came out around 300gr with a 50# spine. Te first seemed about right for 3/8" shafts with te others seeming a bit light. But I'll make them into artows and see how they do. The spines seemed to land within about a 5 pound window in each group and the weights were within 20gr. So I'm not going to complain about te consistency.

Kyle

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Anybody try mahogany?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 04:31:28 pm »
I never have made shafts from mahogany because, for me,  the wood is expensive and harder to come by.  Any nice board I can find becomes furniture, dresser boxes, or a jewelry box. 

I would think it would be too light spined anyway and the shafts would not be too durable.    They would, if finished bright, be absolutely beautiful though.  Please let me know how they turn out. 

Russ 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:29:56 pm »
Here's how the first batch of shafts look. His is the lighter weight and spine of them. I'm going to order some feathers tonight and fletch them up when they get in. Thougj I might have enough feathers to fletch a few of them.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:59 pm »
Perfect time to bareshaft them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »
I've always wondered what kind of arrows mahogany would make . Looks like some good ones can't wait to see them fletched up . Also great talking to you at mojam . Andy
lets get back to the basics

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:28:51 pm »
I finally had time to make some more progress with those arrow shafts. I got the nocks cut and wrapped. I cheated and cut the nocks with a band saw then cleaned them up with a small chainsaw file. I have 2 coats of minwax teak oil after samding with 150 grit. They felt a bit fuzzy so I burnished them with a piece of leather. That got rid of the fuzzy feel and they feel a bit harder to the tough now. Once I get the fletchings on I'll do the same again after I get some beeswax in the leather to finish them out. Next time I think I'll leave out the teak oil and just go with the wax. I have stuffyo make a veregris mix. So I'm going to test it out on these arrows.

BTW, I'm loving the bracer and I look forward to chatting with you again feathersnwood.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 06:12:54 am »
Looking real nice Kyle. I'd have to shoot one by now just to see how their flight was.
Bjrogg

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:53 am »
I just bare shafted the lot. They fly PERFECt out of my 50# bendy handle black locusts bow. I'm shooting them with 160gr heads and they fly straight out to 50-60 yards and are hitting straight at only a few yards. I'm loving there shot characteristic and weight. Now I just need to test durability. I think ill shoot one into a piece of 1x wood when I get the chance before I fletch yem to see how they hold up.

Kylr

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 11:14:02 am »
Those are gonna be some sweet arrows Kyle
Bjrogg