Author Topic: Need information on this bow i was gifted  (Read 1924 times)

Offline hobbyaccumulator

Need information on this bow i was gifted
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:39:38 pm »
I'm sorry if this isn't the right board to post since this bow isn't exactly "primitive" but it's not a compound. If this is off-topic for this board or forum please remove it.

When i told my aunt i was building my own bow she offered to give her recurve (not the compound i shot many years ago) so i can get some practice shooting before the long bow i am making is finished (it's slow going when i can find the free time),

Here is an album of photos of the bow and string

I would have included a shot if it strung but i'm scared to string it because i've never strung a bow and the string looks really small compared to the bow at full length, even though i know its supposed to be shorter.

I have no reason to believe my aunt gave me the wrong string for the bow, but how can i make sure? In addition to the bow and string is probably 30 years old, is that going to be any issue?  How do i go about stringing this bow safely?

Also what is the weird leather ended rope that she gave me with it?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Need information on this bow i was gifted
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 04:52:23 pm »
This should be posted in the campfire page since it is a fiberglass bow.  It looks to be in good shape.  Your rope is a bow stringer. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 04:52:55 pm »
Do a google on Internature Archery you can find lots of example seems like a youth or beginners bow.

Says 62" 25 #, i am assuming 62" is not the draw length, so is it the AMO?

looks like 25lb draw with a 62" total length the long string thing is probably a stringer although hopefully someone more experienced with these type of takedown recurves will chime in.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:56:02 pm »
This kind of post is probably more appropriate for one of the other sub-forums. Maybe a mod will move it.

The rope with the leather is a bow stringer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWnqmOMURo

Proper strings are usually 3-4 inches shorter than the bow. It's impossible to tell how long it is in comparison to the bow in the pictures you've posted. But as you've said, you have no reason to believe she gave you the wrong string for the bow.

Don't be scared. It's actually really hard to mess it up.

String it up and shoot the heck out of it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52:44 pm »
Your bow stringer has two leather cups, one on each end that go over the bow tips.

In this video the stringer has a big lower pocked but the same kind of leather pocket on the upper limb that you will use on both limbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhORFg70bcw

I really recommend you find someone locally has put together a takedown bow and used a bow stringer to show you how.

Offline hobbyaccumulator

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 09:31:01 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys!

I will definitely be bringing this baby into a local archery shop before i do anything with it. I know this stuff might seem second nature to you but im a nervous wreck about doing something im brand new at and really dont wanna screw anything up!

thanks for the video clip Eric!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:27 am »
I bought one like that for my Grandson when he was young. it's an entry level take-down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?