Author Topic: Question about a osage stave  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Iowahedge

Question about a osage stave
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:27:54 pm »
 What is the minimum length for a osage stave for a 28" draw. Got plenty of width around 2", but its only 58" long.  I think Ive read/heard 2x draw length and add 10% and Im well short of that. Im pretty sure it will be a bendy handle is there hope for 28" draw or should I make my daughter a few bows (post I split gave me a few pretty decent staves there just short).

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Question about a osage stave
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:27 pm »
I would suggest bendy handle.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:23 am »
+1 of what Clint suggested.I would flip the tips retro bent type myself too then also.That's just me though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:22:21 pm »
I bet you could easily pull off a bendy handle with short sharp-bending static tips as well. Don't know if you saw that plum shorty I posted recently, but it was 52" ttt and I got it to 25" of draw with 6" total of static tips.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:46:08 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:16:32 pm »
Same question, kind of
How far should I bend a 56" bendy handle, Osage 1-1/4" wide
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 05:33:46 pm »
ok keep in mind, if you have a shallow handle ,, like a bendy, you may not pull a 28 inch arrow,, just saying,,
keep the limbs wide, narrow the handel a bit, bendy handle and you should be able to get the 28 inches,,

Mad Max,, it depends on how far you need to bend it,,
25 or 26 would be good,, no need to strain it to the max unless you just cant shoot a shorter draw,, (--)

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:07:53 pm »
Thanks
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Im far from ever turning out the sharp looking bows you guys make. Just going for one that will hopefully have enough poundage to poke a hole in a deer someday. The fine state of iowa either doesnt have or a minimum draw weight of 35. ( I cant honestly remember). Gonna try for 45-50lbs. Ill post some pictures of the stave tonight for some more input. Got a few (with my limited skills) shorter staves that split like a dream that vary in width. So Ill post the first one later and see what ya think.

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:23 pm »

Here what i got for my first crack at a osage selfbow. Any suggestions on what profile and width for the limbs?  Its longer then I thought by a whopping 2" for a grand total of 60".

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:05 am »
That is a good looking stave, at that length which should be about 58 N-N /Handle 4 inches and 1 1/2 fads 1 /3/8 to 1 1/2 wide and you should be able to build about anything you want, safer with a bendy
handle if you really need a 28 inch draw. Most folks don't but ha you may have long arms or unique shooting style. I only say that because I have been involved in hundred's of bow builds and almost everyone says when ask they have a draw 28 , if you measure them most don't. ???  I build most of mine 26 inch draw if they are for me and 58 to 62 N-N.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:38:03 am »
Good decent ratio of late to early wood on that stave.Nice bow wood setting there.If you get the time to go to Mo Jam bring it along.I'm sure you'd make some good headway with it.Excellent capable bow makers will be there.I'll be there too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:14 am »
Pappy not sure of my actual draw length do to my inexperience. I figured from where the nock snaps on the string (not sure on the technical term) to where the shaft of the arrow stopped when I drew the bow and make a mark on the shaft from the back of the bow. Ive got rather long arms so dont know if what I consider 28" is actually measured correctly.
Beadman was hoping to go to Mojam, but apparently Ive got a hunt test for our chessie that weekend. If anyone around southern Iowa wouldn't mind getting together another weekend. Ill rough a couple staves and make a road trip. Got a few green staves that Id welcome any help/advice getting layed out correctly. Dont think Im doing to bad chasing the ring but design/layout. Im not good at.
Got a source for cheap "fence posts" that require a bit of immediate attention once i pick them up the first batch was cheap and he does all the hard work of dragging them out and lets me dig through the pile and pick the ones I want.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:08:12 am »
Yep that sound like you measured correct. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good