Author Topic: Cumberland Dogwood  (Read 4612 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Cumberland Dogwood
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 12:14:21 pm »
Great looking bow, that Dogwood is nice looking wood. How does that eastern variety work? I was impressed with how easy Pacific dogwood worked.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 12:26:46 pm »
This is Pacific Dogwood. It is nice to work. It seemed to take a long time to dry but I guess everything does here. I've made two or three Dogwood bows. Like them all.
I have a new Chrono now so I will test it again when the $%^*&^^ snow leaves.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »
very nice! like it
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »
  I think your chrono is correct, they don't tend to be off by much at all. If I were going to check anything I would verify accuracy of draw weight scale and of course draw length. Your reading are almost too good LOL. You may have developed a quick release. shooting through a chrono does this. I had no idea I had perfected a quick release until it was pointed out to me. I was shooting about 15 fps faster than my buddies drawing the exact same length. A typical shooter shoots about 7 fps slower than if the bow were shot through a machine. A perfected release can add as much 10 or more fps to a machine shot bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »
I've checked and double checked my scale and I pretty confident in it. Draw length may be suspect as I've noticed when I testing that I tend to try a little harder than when I'm just shooting.That "try" could easily turn into a longer draw length. I've tried putting tape on the arrow but I have trouble feeling it. It just came to me, I'll put a permanent mark on the arrow at my draw length and then roll an "O" ring down to it. I should be able to feel that. Hopefully it will push/roll back when it hits the target and I can just push it back into position. I've deliberately pause at "full draw" for a 1 count since you mentioned the quick release before. I want to make sure my numbers are as honest as possible. What was it our teachers used to say,"You're only cheating yourself."  ;D ;D ;D 

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »
  I don't think you are cheating at all, I think you have a nice clean release and are getting the most out of the bow.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:50:58 pm »
Nice job with the performance.
I really like this bow it has the perfect amount of character. Well done.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »
I tried again and got more realistic results. The best I got was a 170 and I'm pretty sure I overdrew it. Most were around 165. The bow seems to have taken a bit more set but I'm not sure of that yet. My "O" ring idea works great as far as hitting the same draw length every time but it seems to play havoc with the chrono as well as messing up the flight of the arrow. It started to rain so I couldn't play with the chrono any more.