Author Topic: 1" Lilac sinewed-Tiller help please  (Read 15159 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 1" Lilac sinewed-Suggestions Please
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »
Yes so do I.Might as well go for it.Kuddos to ya DuBois using that much sinew.!!!I'd treat this bow as a bendy handle mass weight wood bow for it's length of 52",with the composite of sinew helping to hold the integrety of the design[the levered reflex] into the 45# mass weight area numbers.That would put the bow right around 9.5 to 10 ounces overall.A little bit of a  grope in the dark estimate but it should be close.Put a built up handle of cork like bubby suggested too.Getting 45#'s out of it will still be pretty snappy yet I'd say.It's his bow.He'll do what pleases him.It would be interesting to know what the bow weighs at the moment.It's gonna be what it's gonna be mass weight wise but I dare bet it's getting quite a bit of poundage out of it for the mass weight it is at the moment.
This of course if if if a string can stay on it.That's got to be first.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DuBois

Re: 1" Lilac sinewed-Suggestions Please
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:00 am »
Really I kind of wish I had that sucker here to tiller.You've come a long ways already.I sure hope it pans out for ya.One thing if it throws the string off at brace it should'nt break it.You'll have to get alingment of those tips dead nuts.Keep your heat gun handy.Then if the string does stay on it's a matter of how it acts after release shooting an arrow.It should stay on if everything is in line good.With it being a bendy handle I really don't know how that will all act there.Keeping it stiffish in the handle area would be a good thing I think.Keep us posted.
Well you nailed it about the alignment issues. Too much bending lever with heat gun got cracks. Not the woods fault at all. It is awesome stuff. Not done though, just lost a few inches. Came up with an alternate plan, pics of shortened levers soon to follow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 1" Lilac sinewed-Still in the fight
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:17 am »
Good to hear it's alive yet.Look forward to the finish.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DuBois

Re: 1" Lilac sinewed-Tiller help please
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »
Been a while on this... ::)
Cut the ears down to 3" due to alignment issues and now at 39.25" n-n with 7.25" reflex  :o :o :o

Pulling 43# in third pic.

I am just not sure on tillering something with all this reflex. To get it to low brace should it be hitting a certain wt?
And, I don't want to get rid of more wood so has anyone ever tillered by sanding/scraping off sinew?
Are the limbs too stiff in the outers or what? Thinkn of just lightly scraping sinew and working it a lot in between.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »
Never heard of scraping sinew as a way of tillering. Maybe PatM has some insight on that? How many pounds is it pulling in that last shot?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2017, 08:15:32 pm »
I've been waiting for the update on this bow. This tiller is not easy, it's not looking bad at all, maybe a bit more on the outer limb, but I'm no expert in this sort of design. Using the long string and getting a poundage won't tell you a whole lot tho. It's very misleading. Can you get it to a low brace and get a reading from there. It's easy to to go way too light with lots a reflex because it feels so heavy early on. It's great to see this bow coming along. I look forward to see how it comes out.
Eric

Offline DuBois

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2017, 10:10:07 pm »
usnyb-around 43 pounds.

HD-Yah, I have gone too far and ended up light just a few time and don't want to on this one. This amount of reflex has me unsure more than usual. I'm gonna go real easy until like you said, I get to low brace and then try to get a good idea of the weight.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:21 am »
I would'nt remove any sinew.It can go past your target weight a bit to get it to brace.Getting it to brace then you'll see what you got as far as weight/tiller/alignment/and stability.You should be able to get those tips to come around to brace height on a long string with that reflex without removing material if it's 43#'s in the picture.Personally I would bring the tips to brace height with that long string and leave it there an hour at least.Stretch it slowly to get a short string on it.Then proceed.A leather booty primitive stringer will get a short string on there for ya safely.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:17:50 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline DuBois

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2017, 10:00:57 am »
The saga continues!!

Couldn't get alignment straight and kept twisting off so I tried a little "gentle" heat correction but only caused sinew to lift (duh).
Removed sinew by soaking and have it now very straight and flat and going to try a little horn bow. That's what I really wanted to do all along hee hee hee