Author Topic: Winged elm brush nock self bow  (Read 9979 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Winged elm brush nock self bow
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »
Hello fellas...I had been whining earlier about wanting some winged elm.This spring in March at a fun invitational bow gathering by St.Louis my whining paid off.Jon W brought me a very nice winged elm stave from northern Arkansas to the event for me.I had done one winged elm before from South Carolina and really like the quality of bow wood.It was as dense as hickory I thought.This winged elm although not as dense still is very good bow wood and better then the red elm around by me.This bow is 63" NTN with some brush nocks on the tips.It made a sweet & fun bow to shoot at 42#'s @ 28".It's no problem now walking through waist high grass and brush.I heat treated a little reflex in the limbs and dry heat bent the tips a little to get some good early string tension and it casts an arrow pretty decent.It's profile has held up good after shooting it in.I left some cambium on and gave it a brain tan leather handle.All the black on it is horn.Thanks for looking.

Even a black eyed susan slides through easily

The inch longer fades gave it a more elliptical looking bend with a longer handle.I've been experimenting around with a few slightly different type handles.String angle looks good to the arrow for ease of draw.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:59:27 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

Re: Winged elm brush nock self bow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:03 pm »
Very nice Ed. I think we've seen those nocks before ;)

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:00:12 pm »
Very nice.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »
wow that turned out great,,,  :BB

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »
really nice looking bow, really like the touch of horn on the brush nocks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »
Sweet bow, the finish work is very, very nice. Glad to hear you like winged elm, I am just starting on oNE of two staves I brought home from Georgia 4 years ago. How well dI'd it respond to heat?

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »
Thanks fellas.
The brush nocks seemed to take forever to make.
The winged elm responded very well to heat.A what I'd call mallable type wood holding what I put to it with the heat gun.Gaining some draw weight after heat treatment too.If fresh and wet and roughed out I'd clamp it to a form though.This one propeller twisted and warped some drying.
BowEd
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:58 pm »
Ed, that is one beautiful piece of work!  :BB And those profiles... as sweet as one could hope for. The tiller looks absolutely spot on and I really dig the simplicity of the overall design. Been waitin' to see this one for a while and you certainly do not disappoint.  :OK

Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 07:27:12 pm »
Thanks Jeff....It seems to take longer for me to put the finishing touches on a bow even though the only frills on this one are the brush nocks.Elm does live up to it's reputation as being a sweet pulling type wood. (SH)
BowEd
Ed

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:08 pm »
Very nice work!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 08:27:43 pm »
Very nice looking bow

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:07 pm »
Great looking bow!  Very unique brush nocks.  What's that big fuzzy string silencer on the bottom limb in the full draw picture?  ;D

And is this going in the BOM contest?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »
Great looking bow!  Very unique brush nocks.  What's that big fuzzy string silencer on the bottom limb in the full draw picture?  ;D

And is this going in the BOM contest?
I hope it's going in the BOM.  Love the profile Ed. Sweet looking bow I bet it shoots great.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 09:46:31 pm »
That's Robins' dog Angel in the background.She's everywhere Robin is and Robin helped me out with the full draw pic again.We've got a system going taking pics.My camera is so slow clicking over that I say ok to her at 25 to 26 inches of draw/she pushes the button on the camera and by the time I get to 28" the camera shoots to get the full draw pic.It's a timing thing.
The brush nocks are set a tad deep I quess.The horn on there might be a bit of overkill but I like contrast anyway.The string lifts off them at around 23 to 24 inches of draw.
I might enter it.It is something different with the brush nocks that are'nt seen on here very often.It was on my bucket list to make.Next one I make will be out of osage.
BowEd
Ed

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:46 pm »
Man that came out nice Ed! Killer unstrung profile and the brush nocks are sweet.