Author Topic: Rawhide problems  (Read 2897 times)

cool_98_555

Rawhide problems
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
So i backed an osage selfbow with rawhide recently.  It is a brownish rawhide.  I used TB3, sized the wood and the rawhide before gluing then applied the main glueup.  Waited 24hours then removed the ace bandages.  Check med the tiller and it was still fine so i shot about 50+ arrows through it and started to hear a very tiny tick sound, but this was a quiet tick.  Looked at the back and there were no air bubbles or uneven places like that in the rawhide.  I did notice some white lines running lengthways along the back in some places but they are also right over the handle area and it is a stiff handle.  There were a few spots i hit with superglue before putting the rawhide on.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not.  Maybe the superglue is cracking underneath? I don't know.  I figured I'd ask you guys before drawing the bow any further.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:56:24 am by cool_98_555 »

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Rawhide problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:37 am »
Hard to speculate without pics, let's see em

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »
I've superglued checks below rawhide with no problems. Did you remove the excess superglue before adding the rawhide?
 Like Goat said, pics would be a big help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:40:02 pm »
Did you run the rawhide right up to the end of the bow? Maybe the nocks aren't quite smooth.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
Did I read that right.... you were shooting it within 24 hours of gluing on the rawhide?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:42:00 pm »
Did I read that right.... you were shooting it within 24 hours of gluing on the rawhide?

Yeah this was not a great idea but it's probably not what made it go tick.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:47:55 pm »
the moisture content of the bow would be too high,, after 24 hours,,
maybe wait a week, before shooting,,
the draw weight might have been less,,
adding rawhide to the bow should not make a tick,,
let it dry a few more days and see if it is still doing it,,
any discoloration is probably not the problem,, but as stated hard to tell without a photo,

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »
Ill try to get a pic up later.  I shot it after 24hrs, not before.  Tge rawhide was glued on all the way to the tips.  I didn't sand the superglue flat before putting the rawhide on but it wasn't lumpy on the back or anything.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
If there was a ridge of superglue I can see it cracking. Any reason why you didn't sand it flush and take the gloss off for better adhesion? Not even sure how well TB would actually stick to CA glue but it would have to help a bit.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:41 am »
Love to see some pictures, all I know for sure is ticks are usually not good, :-\ did you rawhide it for a reason or just wanted it rawhide backed ? Were the cracks you CA glued longitudinal cracks/knots or something else. Raw is great for protecting the back but not a save all.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 06:57:43 am »
+1 what Pappy said.A little more history about all this even prior to the rawhide backing might help,and pics of course.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:52 am »
I have made the mistake of attempting one type of glue for a backing, it popped off, so I glued it back down with TB3 thinking that would work. I let it dry a few days and went to pull it back, and it started ticking while drawing. This was an extreme case where the whole back was essentially coated with two glues that will not bond to one another. You may be getting tickingin the small locations where your titebond is contacting your super glue. I had to remove my backing and completely resend the back and soak the backing. No problems now.
Eric