Author Topic: Scam phone call  (Read 6820 times)

Offline jaxenro

Re: Scam phone call
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 09:32:09 am »
I had one of those India windows people call me a "stupid Pakistani" because I told him I didn't own a computer (all true work provides mine)

If I have time I sometimes waste theirs. Our land line is only a year or so old and unlisted so half the calls think I am the old person. I like the "you stayed at our resort" ones who can't tell me my name. I always ask them how do they know I stayed there if you don't know who I am? Also had a guy trying to sell me a car warranty. Spent fifteen of his minutes before telling him I wasn't Mr Scott and didn't need a warranty.

Hey they called me so it's their fault if I waste their time

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 10:04:13 am »
I don't know how true it is but I would love to think it is, a friend posted on FB that he had gotten one of those calls, he's a programmer running a linux setup, so he quickly banged together a virtual windows machine in a sandbox environment and played along with the call, as soon as the scammers connected to his fake machine he started backtracing the connection and about fifteen minutes into this guy "fixing" his "windows computer" he pushed the button and shut down the scammers entire call center network, lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 11:27:32 am »
Sounds super geeky, but I LOVE it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:01 pm »
I don't know how true it is but I would love to think it is, a friend posted on FB that he had gotten one of those calls, he's a programmer running a linux setup, so he quickly banged together a virtual windows machine in a sandbox environment and played along with the call, as soon as the scammers connected to his fake machine he started backtracing the connection and about fifteen minutes into this guy "fixing" his "windows computer" he pushed the button and shut down the scammers entire call center network, lol.
Amazing, I've got to try that some day. But I barely answer calls..
You mean he reported them?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:59 pm »

No, he hacked their system and wiped their database and killed their VoIP.  ;D :OK 8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 06:33:10 pm »
Where can I get one?  :-K
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrianS

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:43 pm »
Good one!
Love messing with them when they bother me.
I received a call from a telemarketer one time. Sounded like he was calling from another Country. He asked if I wanted to save on the cost of electric? I answered that I was Amish and was not permitted to  have a phone or electric. He said he was very sorry to bother me.

Offline loon

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:57 pm »

No, he hacked their system and wiped their database and killed their VoIP.  ;D :OK 8)
Wow. I'm curious about the details of what he exploited.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 08:38:42 pm »
was not permitted to  have a phone or electric. He said he was very sorry to bother me.

Guess their not hired for their brains. What did he think you were talking on a tin can and a string?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 03:33:53 pm »
Question JW, how do you know the cost $2.99 per minute  :-\ :o
 Pappy

I was broke and needed the money!  Don't judge me!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
Years ago I had a woman call wanting to sell me encyclopedias.  I was polite and tried telling her I wasn't interested several times but she kept pushing.  Finally I told her that the reason that I didn't want them was because I couldn't read.  I told her I was very embarrassed about it and her phone call had really upset me.  She kept apologizing over and over.  She stayed on the phone for quite a while giving me a "pep talk" and trying to cheer me back up.  It was an entertaining call. 

My Dad likes to interrupt them and start telling them about all the junk he has around his house that he would sell them.  They get the point pretty quick.  Sometimes he will tell them he is busy but if they give him their home phone number he will call them back later.  They don't like that. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 05:07:30 pm »
I sometimes just lay the phone to the side and leave them on the line for a hour or so. I love messing with them sometimes, sometimes I just ant it the mood. ;)
 Pappy

I use to do that when I still had a land line. Put the phone under the seat cushions so they couldn't hear. They couldn't hang up. Put them out of order for a couple hours.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »
I saw on the news tonight that a guy from Miami was busted by the FBI for sending out 39 million robo calls in the last 3 months. When convicted he can be fines $150 million.  This guy would make the calls and pass them on to people in Mexico that would talk folks out of their credit card numbers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:28 pm »
I'm with you guys OO ,bjrogg,and pappy.I've made them pay with their time those ways too.
Funny story here not related to phone calls but to people taking your time from you and that's what this boils down to to me.
Once while coming home late from coon hunting a highway patrolman stops me.I was weaving apparently.Tired and sleepy I was trying to get home at a moderate speed.This dickhead has me get out of the truck hands on my truck and frisks me.I can understand his safety precautions but I'm sitting their with a wheat light on a helmet/dogs in dog box in back.I carried my battery for my light at that time under my arm pit with a homemade gun holster method.I had'nt drank for over 30 years  and was completely aware of this dud.
He feels the battery and says what's that?I say it's my light battery.Oh he says.He feels farther by my waist and says what's that?I say it's my pliers.I farm down the road here.Oh he says.He has me sit in his car.I get to talking with him about coondogs so much and that he should try it.I had one for sale.He was glad to get rid of me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:13 pm »
Good point Pat.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed