Author Topic: Scam phone call  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Scam phone call
« on: June 20, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
So here's the thing.  We had just finished our lunch when my wife and I decided to have a tea and coffee in our 3 season porch, she likes tea and I coffee.  My wife put the kettle on to boil and we went and sat down in the porch.  When it started to boil I went in and prepared her tea, she likes mint honey and milk, then brought it out to her.  Then I went back in and was just about to get my coffee ready when the phone rang.  I picked it up and a man's voice with a thick accent said "hello Mr. Louis but quickly changed that to Mr. St Louis.  I said "hello".  Then he starts to mumble something which finished Microsoft.  I knew I was in for a line then.  He asked " are you in front of your computer right now?"  I said "no".  He then asked " are you the primary user of the Microsoft computer?"  I said "maybe".  That kind of threw him for a second.  He said " I don't understand your answer, are you the primary user of the Microsoft computer? "  Again I said "maybe".  By this time I could hear my wife starting to laugh a bit in the other room.  He then said " I don't understand this maybe ".  So I said " your question assumes that I am the only person in the house ".  This reply also kind of flummoxed him but he moved on from that.  He then said something along the lines of "you know when you go online you can get scammed".  I said " yes I know this ".  He said " you know this ? "  I said "yes of course".  Now my wife really started to laugh on the other side and this made me chuckle a bit.  So I decided to ask him " what do you want? "  This really put him off and he went quiet.  After a minute or so of no sound from the other end I said "hello?".  He said " yes?"  So I said " you haven't answered my question".  By this time I was starting to laugh a bit.  He said " yes I did".  I said " I didn't hear anything".  My wife was really laughing hard by this time and so was I.  He then said " are you laughing at me?"  I didn't say anything, I was laughing too hard by this time.  Then he said "stop laughing at me you Mother F******g Bas****d which made me laugh even harder, but I'd had enough by this time and said "goodbye" and hung up.  I have to say it was an amusing few minutes

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

Re: Scam phone call
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 05:02:38 pm »
It's fun to screw with them when you have a few minutes to spare.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:47 pm »
It's fun to screw with them when you have a few minutes to spare.

Yes good fun..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:29:50 pm »
Reading that just had me giggling. ;D Way to take a potentially annoying situation and turn it into something amusing!  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:18 pm »
I love listening to my daughter when she talks to them. They usually hang up. She starts out by asking them what they are wearing and then keeps interrupting asking them to take off articles of clothing, since she would be more comfortable talking to them if they were naked like her. It doesn't go much farther than that. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:51 pm »
I love listening to my daughter when she talks to them. They usually hang up. She starts out by asking them what they are wearing and then keeps interrupting asking them to take off articles of clothing, since she would be more comfortable talking to them if they were naked like her. It doesn't go much farther than that. ;D

Does she get $2.99 a minute from them?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:20 pm »
Yep that's a good one.Usually the first word out of their mouth I know they are a stranger and they want something.Then the game begins.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »
If the first word is "Mr" followed then by one of the usual mis-pronunciations of my last name,I just tell them can'ttalkgottagobye...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 05:35:26 am »
I sometimes just lay the phone to the side and leave them on the line for a hour or so. I love messing with them sometimes, sometimes I just ant it the mood. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:57 am »
When the Son was younger I used to hand the phone to him and tell him he has a call. :OK
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:10 am »
I usually just hang up but not yesterday
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 08:14:17 am »
I got one of those "Windows" calls the other day, I went into my backwoods east Tennessee voice when the gal asked if I had windows on my computer. I said "winders, I don't see any of thme thar winders, just a black box with some lites flashin', don't see no reason for winders on a computer, thar ain't nothin' for one to see inside that box anyway".

Of course the gal from India was a bit conflicted, on one hand she wanted to complete her pitch but suspected she was talking to a complete idiot. 

I carried the lack of windows theme on for a while and she finally just hung up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:17:22 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 08:18:56 am »
Question JW, how do you know the cost $2.99 per minute  :-\ :o
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:30 am »
Nice job, Marc. I love making those idiots squirm.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 09:16:14 am »
I put  a feature called "Nomorobo" on my phone and get very few completed calls now. Nomorobo lets the phone ring once and gives the caller the message "this call has been blocked by nomorobo".

An actual telemarketing person calling can get through occasionally.