Author Topic: Rabbit dog training  (Read 4091 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Rabbit dog training
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:30:46 pm »
Isn't going to well  ;D     Our blind dog didn't know what to think about this rabbit.  She just made whimpering noises.  It was pretty funny to watch.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Rabbit dog training
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:36:21 am »
That's just not right!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:29:11 am »
Yep looks like a rabbit dog to me. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:40:55 am »
Makes for easier shooting when the dog doesn't chase the rabbit.  You shouldn't lose as many arrows.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 06:59:07 am »
My wife would LOVE that little blind pooch. No trades either...............Clint.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:21 am »
Which one is the rabbit?   (A)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »
Robin would like that little dog there too.She's got 4 rescue league dogs here that nobody else wanted for one reason or another.Behavior problems/physical problems or whatever.We get along ok though.She's not as stern with them as I would be.They do mind me but try to take advantage of her kind nature.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:39 pm »
Ed, if we ever get another dog it will be a rescue mutt.  They seem to be much healthier than pure breeds.  This little Schnauzer has diabetes.  We have to give her 2 insulin shots a day.  Her eyes are glazed over to where she is practically blind.  I think she can sense light and dark shades but that's about it.  She will walk into walls or off the edge of the porch.  Drop a treat on the ground and she has to sniff it out.  She has had kidney stones also.  She isn't that old.  We recently lost our little rescue mutt that we had for about 12 years.  She had no health problems up until the end.  We have no idea how old she really was. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:46 pm »
My youngest brother is a veteran. Don't even get him started on purebred dogs especially certain breeds. Like you said Clint they are so inbred they have a lot of health problems. I was going to say that dog needs a seeing eye person, but it sounds like the poor fellow needs more than that. A good old mutt does have its place.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:14 pm »
Who's hunting whom?  That rabbit looks plumb dangerous!   Ol' dog may just need cataract surgery.
Some mutts turn into money pits, just like pure bred dogs!  We will probably spend the health costs money on them anyway!  And pull the plug when they aren't enjoying a quality life.  I've done both.  To each his own,
Don't argue religion, politics, or dogs!  Ol' "Blue" was the best ever, just like "Little Bit" "Trinket" , "Ludwig" and every other dog any one has ever had! :)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:11:54 am »
Your a good man Clint, better than I would be with them kind of problems. I think yall are correct about purebreds though, I have much more trouble at an earlier age with purebred than with mutts or mixed that is for sure. I think it depends on how they were bred but not even sure about that. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 07:43:46 am »
I don't know exactly all the problems with them, but I do know my brother gets quite upset about some of them. I believe certain breeds are more problematic than others.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:42 am »
About the only purebred I have had real problems with are Red Bone hounds, I have had some that done really well but some got some really bad problems at a very early age, I am talking 4 or 5 years old. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 11:52:06 am »
I don't recall my brother talking about any hunting breeds. I know he named some other specific breeds that had lots of problems. Not saying they aren't good dogs or worth spending the time and money on. Just agreeing with Clint's observation. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Although I haven't had one since my Black-n-Tan passed after I was married a few years. I always was enjoyed my dogs. Wife isn't a big fan of them though so we have been without a dog for awhile now. I think if I could talk her into it I'd get a cur. I have a couple buddies that have them and they just seem like a good all around dog. They hunt with my buddies and their wives love them.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 12:32:43 pm »
The Curs are considered all 'round dogs, some of the bloodlines go back 200 years apparently.  They are farm dogs, hunting dogs, treeing dogs, family dogs, guard dogs, and big enough to be good foot warmers.  They are listed with United Kennel Club, but not with AKC, yet.  I've only met one, she was very social able and warmed right up to me, but I am a "dog" person.  We are considering getting one.
Most of the lines are out of the south, so they probably are somewhat thin coated.  Solve that with a hunting jacket :) >:D., and a dog door!  Officially, I think they are called Blackmouthed Curs.  Some interesting info on them on several websites.  Got to introduce your wife to your buddies's dogs, that will win her over!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry