Author Topic: wild berry bush ID ?  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Josh B

wild berry bush ID ?
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:41 am »
I'm running around the east coast and I've been seeing these berry bushes everywhere.  Specifically I'm in Western Virginia(not West Virginia) and I picked this twig off one of the bushes.  I'm wondering if they're edible?  The fruit seems to grow in pairs if that helps.  The local fellas that I asked said they thought that they were mountain berry.  While that's a little less vague than saying it's a bush, it didn't really narrow it down much.  Any help would be appreciated.  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: wild berry bush ID ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:53:24 am »
We call them choke cherries and they will make you sick as hell!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:40 pm »
Josh, it is one of the Asian honeysuckles, Lonicera  maackii. Planted by wildlife folks way back in the 1890. I Googled it and it didn't say if it was edible or not. Give it a try and let us know.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »
The leaves don't look like choke cherries I saw in Colorado when I lived there. You could eat those but they were real bitter.

Try one, Josh and tell us how it taste. ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:34:00 pm »
Thanks Pat!  That confirms my suspicions.  We have amur honeysuckle around home which has bigger leaves and much smaller fruit, but enough similarities to suggest some variety of honeysuckle.  Yep Pearlie ,  you sure don't want to eat honeysuckle berries.  They are poisonous.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:46 pm »
The leaves don't look like choke cherries I saw in Colorado when I lived there. You could eat those but they were real bitter.

Try one, Josh and tell us how it taste. ::) ;)

I can tell you what they taste like.  Years ago when I found my first one, I worked it through the steps to determine edibility.  I made it to the touch it to your tongue point.  The immediate taste is extremely sweet and pleasant for about a second.  Then you're hit with a nasty chemical aftertaste that sets off warning bells in your head that say "POISON! POISON ".  That aftertaste lingers for a long time!  Josh

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »
Josh, we called them Tartarian Honeysuckle and Pa. Game Commision used to put the invasive little things in a seed packet to plant for wildlife,That and Multi-Flora Rose  2 most common plants in NW Pa. :( Bob

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 03:17:35 pm »
Some varieties of honeysuckle are edible, just not those ones.  Real Chokecherries can be quite sweet although they still have an astringent quality.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:15 pm »
If the wildlife doesn't eat them then you can be pretty sure they are not edible
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 02:16:33 am »
Is Russian Olive out of the question?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:21 am »
I thought Russian olive at first but when I Googled it I was convinced it was honeysuckle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:47:01 pm »
Yeah definitely looks like a honeysuckle from the pics I see, can you get a picture of the bark from a mature plant?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:58 am »
If the wildlife doesn't eat them then you can be pretty sure they are not edible

that's a good point but on the contrary if the wildlife eat it you can never be sure it's edible
and remember some poisons do cumulative and/or irreversible damages to your body even in small portions so be very careful with edibility test

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:28 pm »
Is Russian Olive out of the question?
Zuma

I'm very familiar with Russian olive.  I'm sure that's not it.  Likewise it's not autumn olive either.  I think Pat nailed it.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 01:40:18 pm »

that's a good point but on the contrary if the wildlife eat it you can never be sure it's edible
and remember some poisons do cumulative and/or irreversible damages to your body even in small portions so be very careful with edibility test

Absolutely correct on all points.  Try the edibility test with something like wolfsbane(monkshood) and it will stop your heart well before the touch it to your tongue test.  Thanks for the input Fellas.  Josh