Author Topic: Shooting machine and a heavy Turkish flight bow  (Read 17778 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Shooting machine and a heavy Turkish flight bow
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 06:07:28 am »
Nice :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:58 am »
Very nice!

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 09:30:35 am »
  You got some good distance

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
Yes pretty darn good.Glad to see your efforts coming to light.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bowster

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:04 am »
well done, not so easy to copy this distance!

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 07:13:30 am »
Cheers :)
I might rig up my chrono to get some arrow speed numbers next time.
I've got a new trigger to fix to the machine now.
I've also been contemplating making some sectional arrows from purpleheart. I have a lovely piece of a perfect grained board left that isn't much use for anything else. I may also try greenheart and some ipe I have. I'd like to try some out of b.locust due to its stiffness but I have none left.
Hopefully I will be getting back down to my 'range' at the weekend with all the problems ironed out. fingers crossed the weather is better.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 02:04:55 am »
I got the p/heart and g/heart shafts glued up. Around 220 grains to 250 grains.
I would like to see what a dyneema string would do for this bow but I fear the worst after reading about Adam's failures with fastflight. Although I'm not precious about this bow so may give it a go.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 07:54:52 am »
Very cool Mike, I would love to see those arrows you're working on too.  Good luck this weekend, hope the weather is cooperative  (R

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 08:45:20 am »
I went to the fields the other day with my 60# Turk warbow. The flight bow had raised a few sinew fibers on the back so I removed the last layer and put down another continuous layer. The original layer was some water buffalo backstrap, it had a 'dry' texture when I removed it. This backstrap didn't allow me to reduce its thickness as much as I would've liked to, the fibers kept snapping when trying to go finer. I always try to get the fibers as fine as possible so that the glue gets to 'wet' more of the sinew. I think this is the reason the Turks only used leg sinew, it is softer and possible to split finer for the better wetting of the fibers leading to a more homogenous sinew layer.  I put more sinew on than I took off so it is likely to be close to 100# when dry.
Anyway I really only went to test the machine as I had made a few changes. It is now working perfectly and is strong enough for the 100# plus bows I want to test out. The warbow shot best with arrows around 280 - 300 grain arrows and consistently put the best arrow 15 yards or so further than the rest. Best distance was 410 yards. The lighter sectional purpleheart/greenheart/Tonkin arrows didn't fly so great from this bow but still were going around 360 yards.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
Very cool Mike, how does that compare using the same bow drawn by hand?

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 10:47:35 am »
  Great distances. The heavier arrows do tend to fly better, hard to give up the potential speed of the lighter arrows but they just don't seem to carry as well.

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 09:57:50 am »
My re-sinewed flight bow is ready to be tested again. It is somewhere around 100#@28 now.
The new greenheart 6 piece arrows are ready to be tested. Turkish style nocks made from osage, parchment fletchings and antler points, weights from 220 - 240 grains. They are surprisingly stiff. I'll take some photos of the arrows soon and report back on distances when I get a chance to get out on a nice day.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 10:04:22 am »
  I am predicting you hit 500 yards! Good luck and keep us posted

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 03:34:23 am »
Very cool Mike, how does that compare using the same bow drawn by hand?
Just noticed your question....All my flight arrows are shorter than 28 and would need me to shoot with a siper. This is something I haven't tried yet. I rigged the machine up with an overdraw to accommodate the shorter arrows with a 28 inch draw. I guess as long as the draw time is the same then there shouldn't be much of a difference. I can set the machine up at 45 degs +/- and it will always shoot the same so it will be more consistent - useful for determining which arrows are actually flying the best.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 11:42:33 am »
I'd think they would shoot faster or farther from a trigger release opposed to a finger release.Probably not as much using a thumb ring yet though.Not as much friction & time during release I guess.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed