Author Topic: What did you all do for fun growing up  (Read 7265 times)

Offline bubby

What did you all do for fun growing up
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:09:44 am »
I was wondering if any of ya'll wanted to share what you did for fun as a kid growing up, besides hunting and fishing. I used to rodeo some from 6 yrs old on up

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What did you all do for fun growing up
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:17:06 am »
I was born with a fishing pole in my hand. Neither of my families are much for fishing, but somehow I was born to love it. I cant remember not being obsessed with it. Still am  ;)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:20:38 am »
Thats a nice fish Chris

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:32:55 am »
An ice cream truck driver pulled over and wanted to give me $20 for it, no deal! We grew up flat azz broke with nothing but government food and hand me down clothes. This pic was from 1984 or so, I still wouldn't take his money. That 24" of pike meant the world to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:37:35 am »
Being flat ass broke might just be a theme here too😉
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:52:43 am by bubby »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:41:26 am »
I grew up in east Tennessee near a huge lake. We spent our time fishing and swimming in the lake, trout fishing in the tail water below the dam (Norris dam and lake), exploring the multitude of caves in the area, hunting squirrels and rabbits and roaming the woods. We rode our bikes everywhere, 5 miles to fish or 20 it was all the same.

We would meet up and begin our adventures, as long as we were home for supper we had free range to go and do whatever we wanted to. Where I lived there were no drugs, crime, or perverts snatching kids, this was during the 50s and early 60s.

We all played little league baseball in the summers, it was so different from today. I rode my bike to the game with my glove hanging from my handle bar. Parents almost never came to watch, it was all about the kids. With two complete teams their might be 5 parents in the stands watching the game. I never saw a parent contest a call, shout at an ump or player or make an ass of themselves like they do nowadays.

I was in an active Boy Scout troop that camped and hiked all over, we spent a lot of time in the Smoky Mountains. 

This childhood shaped my life and made me what I am today. Looking at what we had when I was growing up compared to what's available for today's kids, I feel sorry for them.

Offline amateurhour

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:13 am »
I grew up just a couple hours shy of Pensacola on the Alabama side and my dad's entire family was from the panhandle. So if I wasn't playing baseball or football on the weekends we'd go down there and they had this little house my grandad built (which is probably what draws me down to Pappy's all the time :) ) and we'd stay there and get up at 4:00 and take one of the wooden jon boats Paw Paw made and go out fishing. Up until his 80s he'd scull the boat with one hand and fish with the other with my dad and I in there. We'd catch about 80 bluegill and bring them back and I'd have to clean them all and the family would get together for some guitar and horseshoes and a fish fry.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:38 am »
If you guys have any pics post them

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:29:47 am »
Great post Bubby.  It's no wonder your knees are titanium after seeing what you used to do.  I'm impressed with quality of those tintype action pictures  ;D

Nice fish Pearly.  I didn't know you had an older brother  ???

I spent most of my time chasing critters when I was young.  We have a very small pond on our property and I think I caught every bluegill in there at least 3 times.  I loved catching snakes, frogs, turtles, crawdads in the creek.  My uncle kept me supplied with bricks of black cat fire crackers.  I blew a lot of stuff up, including some of the small animals I would catch  :-[   Somebody gave me a few golf clubs when I was in the 3rd grade and I spent a lot of time swinging those.  I've shot a bow for as long as I can remember.  They had wheels on them back then.  I'll try to find some old pictures. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:35 am »
Mostly we worked. That's what all of the kids I grew up with did. We spent a lot of time hoeing weedy Sugarbeets. My dad said he'd give us .14 cents a row one year 1/2 mile long rows. We were thrilled because we always just did it with out pay anyway. When we finally finished a couple months later he said, "you all did a good job. How about we just take a day at the beach instead of $. We were thrilled I can still remember that day a the beach. We also had good jobs like baling hay and straw, milking cows and best of all driving tractors. Not sure why I love it but I do love growing up on the farm. It sure made me the person I am today.
     We worked hard but when we got the chance we played hard to. Lots of big families and cousins. We always could get enough together for a cow pasture ball game, or play 500. We also had some gravel pits close by. At the end of a long hot day we would swim there. Everyone swam there. We would also have our own Rodeo riding our steers in the barn. Dad didn't really approve of this though. We rode bikes everywhere. We would scrung through the local dump for old broken toys, my neighbor bless his soul would fix them up for us. We built Forts and tree houses. One year we got to play little league. I still remember trying out in my work shoes. Never had a pair of tennis shoes. It was the first time I remember seeing the "city kids". Our city had a population of around 2000. They teased me because of my shoes but they soon found out we could play ball. When I was in the fifth grade we went to the Public School in the "city" I met lots of new friends and developed a pretty good social life. We partied pretty hard just like we worked. I thank the Lord I survived, not all of us did. I wouldn't trade my childhood for anyone's. Sometimes I think I'm still living it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:35:10 am »
I'm turning 70 on Monday so I've been doing a lot of reminiscing. I lived in a small town(this one, it was just smaller then ;D) so I had running shoes ;D. We spent a lot of time building forts and shooting songbirds with a BB gun. In those days if you saw a kid going into the bush without a gun it was suspicious. Made a lot of bows and arrows. Actually killed a robin with one. I can remember my Dad bringing me a piece of Yew from the bush, must have been almost 60 years ago. I also remember going with him to get me some Crabapple. Still two of my favourite woods. Learned how to make black powder and blew up a lot of stuff. Then I discovered fishing. Had to ride my bike 4 or 5 miles to the nearest good spot for trout but the saltwater wharf was only two blocks from my house. We would catch Rock Cod and sell them to the fish and chip shop for 10 cents each or trade them for chips and use some of the chips for bait to catch more. Then cars and drag racing on the highway north of town. Then I discovered beer and the next twenty years went pretty fast. Been dry now for 27 years. And that's the Readers Digest version of my life.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 04:00:00 pm »
The usual of an Iowa farm kid I'd say on a farm.Lots of work with livestock and pulling weeds.Baling hay and cutting silage.Rode a lot of horse in my early teens.Athletic sports activities from school took a lot of my time.All through this though a .22 cal.rifle and a fishing rod and a heinz 57 dog were my best friends.Seemed like never a dull moment.
Left the house out of high school working construction into an almost break even type life helping my dad at times farming yet.When he retired I took over the farm paying him rent for 20 years.Acquired hobbies like buckskinning and coon hunting during those years.Then as it is retired now into a place back in the sticks living my childhood over again.
One reason why I think this bow making is rewarding and fun really.On a farm your used to hardships.Things can go wrong in lots of ways.Weather is the boss.Learn to work with her.Pick yourself up and do it again.Same way with breaking bows.You can't be afraid to fail.
I'll always be eternally thankful that I had the parents and enviornment that I was born into.Learned the value of a dollar and how to live proper.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:44 pm »
Picture of old Ernie on the tree with a coon above him down along one of my favorite rivers I used to hunt along.The Rock river.

Picture at Black & Tan days in 1994.He won the whole ball of wax.King of the hunt.A three night hunt against over 1100 dogs.

Another pic back home showing it better.

He was just 1 individual out of my kennel.I was blessed to have at least 7 or 8 more hounds half of them females[mother/aunt/niece/ and many first cousins] that were just as good as him.His littermates won many national hunts too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:45:07 pm »
My kinda tree hugger Ed. He's a bruiser, darn nice looking hound.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 06:05:17 pm »
That's a respectable beard Ed!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left