Author Topic: Hazel shoots  (Read 4587 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Hazel shoots
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:08 pm »
Feb. Got a beautiful short hazel stave I've been keeping for something special 😁

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:39 am »
I love hazel! Can handle a lot of different designs as long as you don't overpower the belly. With some narrow recurves, crazy heat treating and light arrows you can get pretty fast bows too!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:56 pm »
Just to let you know that "old" (In my head I'm still about 16) :o Del is here....
Del  ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
Just to let you know that "old" (In my head I'm still about 16) :o Del is here....
Del  ;D

That's funny. In my head I'm 25. Does that mean I'm more mature. 70 today. Anyway I cut one of the Hazel shoots this morning. 5 years old and 11 feet long. I'll try to split it this afternoon just to see if it's twisted or not. It's too slippery to hang on to right now.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:25 pm »
Happy birthday Don! That one on the left looks real nice! Cheers- Brendan

Offline WillS

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 02:44:59 pm »
Don't split them!  They always twist. 

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 02:58:06 pm »
It actually has a bit of a bend but that's the way it wanted to stand.
Always twist? Do you saw every one and not concern yourself with the twist? I like to split at least a bit of the stave so I know how much twist there is.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:48:19 pm by DC »

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 06:05:49 pm »
Yup, it was twisted. A lot. I stopped in time and sawed the rest of it. I'm having doubts about it making a bow. Do sawn, twisted hazel bows hold together?

Offline WillS

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »
It's a bit of a juggling act.  You need to accept that some of the twist will be in there, and try to lay out the bow so you're making the best of it.  I've made them where I completely ignored any twist, and just drawn a dead straight line down the log and they worked fine, too.

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:26 pm »
My normal approach is to use a hatchet to remove all the side wood, leaving me with a very thick stave which is at bow dimensions when viewed from the back.  Then if there's enough wood to get two bows I'll do the splitting trick where you drill holes all the way along the line you want and split carefully between each hole.  Or I'll saw the line, or half split half saw etc.  Usually though, I just make one bow per log, and use the axe to remove everything I don't want.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Thanks Will. I've read in a few spots that Hazel dries easily, no checking and such. Is that your experience. Stand it in a corner and forget it for ??? hop long?

Offline shofu

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:03 am »
Happy birthday Don! At my rate I will be happy to put out in the next 25 years the quantity and quality of bows you have in the last 5! I wish you health and happiness and straight  staves and straighter shots...
G
p.s. I bet you can make a shooter or two from that hazel
Cheers,
George

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 03:03:06 am »
I've read in a few spots that Hazel dries easily, no checking and such. Is that your experience.Stand it in a corner and forget it for ??? hop long?

I've debarked and placed outside in a shadowed but very hot place some hazel logs around 3 inchs diam, no sealing, with no cheching and fast dry.
Cannot be sure it is a rule.
I guess you have to try it