Author Topic: What’s too big  (Read 2393 times)

Offline feathersnwood

What’s too big
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:26:15 am »
The feedlot I once worked for has a Osage corner post they cut a couple of years ago straight as a string no bugs as far as I can see . My question is on the small end it is about 16” across and 18” or so on big end . Is this too big to make staves out of ? Sorry no pics phone was dead at the time . Don’t want to mess with it if it won’t work so I figured I had better ask the experts !! Oh do I need to worry about wind stress cracks since it came off the base of tree ? Thanks
lets get back to the basics

Offline Zuma

Re: What’s too big
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:21 am »
Good question :) I'll be right here (-P (-P
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:16 am »
I'll preface by saying I have never cut osage, but lots of hickory, oak, ash, elm and maple.
I don't think there is ever a too big. You just need bigger tools and more muscle. I've used trees up to 30" in diameter.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:33:43 am »
If it is solid and didn't grow in a spiral I'd say get it. Even if you only get one stave it's worth it. You won't know about wind checks until you make staves and it starts drying. At 16" to 18" you will also get piggy back staves. You may have a lifetime supply of osage staves with this log.
 How long is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:38 am »
Hey Andy, how much length does it have?
Splitting it would be a bit of work but I'll bet we know a young, strong, athletic type fella for the job...  :OK
 ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:00:38 pm »
How you gonna get a corner post outta there without being noticed?  Lol!  Probably be able to get enough of us to come and make a shield for you, even help a bit! >:D >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:02:34 pm »
9ft or pretty close . Think I will just take some liquid conversation up with me and remind them of how I was a good worker (or they are glad to be rid of me ) then slip the help a little bottle to load it with the tractor !! But when i get home that’s another story !! My helper goes in for shoulder surgery on the 20th so he’s no help for awhile😔. If anybody comes over to help I feel like I need to feed them or make sure they are hydrated! Damm this going to cost me a lot !!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:47 pm »
On the big ones I make the first split to halves with a chainsaw. I would cut 38" of the end and make billets out of it's splits. I like billets to be at least 36" long. This will leave you 70" for staves.

It would be much easier to halve it and quarter it before you try to move the log.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:10 pm »
Yep, whether you halve it with a saw or splitting, I would do that before moving...and quarters would be better still.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
That's not too big.  I've cut 24"+ Osage logs.  You are going to need a lot of wedges.  Getting it in half will be the hardest part.  Split the halves into quarters.  Keep halving the splits until you get them down to stave size.   You will probably need to trim some off the ends.   Make sure to seal them.  When you split belly staves seal the backs of those.  Have fun and good luck.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:29 pm »
Thanks guys will see if I can make a deal with them this weekend . Better get some more glue 👍

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »
Looked at a new wedge the other day( made in ?) $21 plus.  Found a "bomb" splitter and some railroad ties for less than $10 at a flea market.  Worked on the crabapple to get out a fairly clean section, still got to stave that out this weekend, and get the trade box full and ready to go.  Smaller pieces load and unload easier.  Where in the Kansas are you? Lol! )-w(?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry