Author Topic: Progression and Thank You  (Read 1082 times)

Offline jaxenro

Progression and Thank You
« on: June 11, 2017, 08:40:56 am »
Thinking on the other topic about the wealth of knowledge this forum is and how much I have learned here I think a big part of my progression is due to this and wanted to thank everyone for answering my inane and off topic questions and showing an interest

I have an ultimate goal in mind of the type of bow (set) I want to build but I am not there yet. Not that I am saying when i get there I will stop learning or progressing just that my skills, tools, and materials aren't at the level I need them to be to produce what I want yet.

I work strictly in 1:3 scale miniatures, something many of you probably aren't that interested in, but because of that some of the techniques are different and the materials aren't available. For instance I needed to commission the metal parts I wanted to use from arrow points to take down bow joiners, in 1:3 scale. (see attached for what I have so far). I can't just use regular bow string but needed something strong but scale size. I need thinner leather for my handle wrap. So the search for materials is part of it. A knot you can work around in a full size bow can be catastrophic in a miniature. 

I haven't attempted the take down longbow yet. But each bow I make I try to improve over the last one both in tiller and finish. I want to be able to tiller a one piece before I attempt a two piece.

So thank you to everyone for helping me get this far  :)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Progression and Thank You
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:43 pm »
I don't know how much I have contributed, probably not much, but I think it's safe for me to speak for everyone on this one. You're welcome! That's what this site is all about.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline jaxenro

Re: Progression and Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:44:38 pm »
It is funny how much of the full size translates to the small size, some for he same reasons some for different ones. If my tiller is off much the limbs snap. I found a stringer is essential, not because it is hard to bend, but it is too easy to break a limb when bending by hand. A bad glue joint, poor choice of wood, or even when everything seems right, and the wood has s mind of its own and still pops the back at a poor grain point or flaw I couldn't see.