Author Topic: String alignment question  (Read 1969 times)

Offline shofu

String alignment question
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:05:17 pm »
Hi all, I am working this Douglas maple (acer glabrum) stave that Tree Ninja gave me and I don't know how best to align the string. 
It is 60" TTT, 1,5" at fades tapering to 5/8" knocks. 
It started its life with 4.5" natural reflex which I heated out to more user friendly 1" reflex. 
Wondering now if I should heat each tip to bend into alignment or heat the handle section (1.25"w x 1.5"d x 4"l) and try to bend the middle?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline DC

Re: String alignment question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:37:26 am »
I usually bend the handle. It takes very little bend to get it in shape.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:27 am »
I have a couple of observations, shofu.
I try to leave the handle shaping and nock shaping until at least the first stringing and usually wait for full draw.
I leave the handle wide and the nocks a good inch wide to start.
That way I can shape the handle in order to track the string better and at least get it on the handle.
The nocks can be cut deeper on one side to bring the string over closer to center at least a little.
What to do now?
You can heat the handle or the tips like DC said.
If all else fails resist the temptation to shoot it like a center shot bow. Your forearm will thank you. You, also, will never get it tuned properly.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shofu

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »
Thanks guys!
 DC - I will try to bend handle.
Jawge - You are right, I should have left more 'meat'. I tried to brace it when it had all the reflex and string looked good then so I tried to take off as much as possible because it was so hard to string.  Next time I will straighten it first!
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:53:58 pm »
Here you can see how to do the bending in a controlled way:
http://primitive-bows.com/buildalong-of-a-hld-bow-no-33/

You should first find out how much the tip of the bow must travel sideways to bring the string in line!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
I'll add to my answer a bit. I used to do all string alignment in the handle. Sometimes that would leave the string outside the front profile of the bow(if you looked at the braced bow from the front you could see the string in spots). I decided I didn't like that so if there is a large sideways bend in a limb I will try to take that out first. Once I got it looking about like yours I'll bend the handle. If you can, leave the string alignment to the very end. If you make it perfect now and then decide that you have to heat treat or take out a bit of twist there is a good chance you will lose your alignment unless you are really careful.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »
shofu, I was talking about leaving the nocks wide and handle wide until full draw. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shofu

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:24:39 am »
Hey guys, so I measured how much it was out (1.5") and I followed Simson's technique heating with weights on and a ruler to measure.  I set the lowest jug 1.5" from floor and heated oil it touched. 
Alignment looks good now! Hopefully it will survive through tillering.
Cheers,
George

Simson - I love that bow and thanks for the link!
Jawge - you were clear! future bows I will leave more at handle and knocks!
Cheers,
George