Author Topic: Viking arrows (Nydam replicas)  (Read 10034 times)

Offline WillS

Viking arrows (Nydam replicas)
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:19 am »
These arrows were made for a customer who had previously bought a beautiful Viking bow from Weylin.  The bow was a Hedeby / Haithabu replica, but these arrows are Nydam copies.  The period is the same, I just prefer the look of the Nydam arrows!

The shafts are 3/8" ash, and the fletching area is reduced in diameter to form a shallow area for the pitch glue to sit in.  The nocks are left full diameter, giving them the classic "bulbous" appearance.

The fletching area is then coated in a pine pitch compound made from pine resin, charcoal and some beeswax and allowed to set hard.

The arrows are then fletched with goose feathers - 4 per arrow.  They are stripped from the quill, cut to length and then the pine pitch is gently heated over a flame to become soft again.  The fletchings are pressed into the hot glue and held for a few seconds.

Once all the arrows have had the feathers glued, they are bound tightly with hemp.  The compound is then reheated over a flame carefully until it melts and flows like liquid over the bindings, sealing everything in place very firmly.  Once the glue cools it hardens like plastic.

There are 12 arrows in total, and they're fletched in three groups.  The first group of 6 are fletched with a rounded, open profile with four feathers each.  Three are fletched with a shape found in an existing fletching at Jufvonna, a straight cut square profile, and the last three are fletched with a very modern target shape for the customer to use as target arrows specifically.

Once the fletching is done, the heads need to be made.  These were all handforged by myself, based on actual Nydam heads.  Again, they're made in groups - 6 simple 4-sided bodkins, 2 long needle bodkins with unique bulbous necks, 2 socketed leaf-shaped heads and 2 tanged leaf-shape heads.

The heads are then fitted (the tanged heads are burned into the shafts, glued in place and then bound with hemp soaked in the pine pitch glue) and the shafts are decorated using makers marks found on the original Nydam arrows by carving the shapes with a knife and then filling with powdered charcoal.

Once the shafts are oiled, the Nydam replicas are complete!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Viking arrows (Nydam replicas)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:31:16 am »
Very nice arrows Will. Does the pitch compound hold the fletching at all or is it for aesthetics while the wrap holds the fletching? 
Maybe aesthetics isn't the right word.   :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:33:49 pm »
You could get away with just the pitch for quick arrows, but binding makes them permanent.  Once the pitch is melted and flows over the bindings you ain't ever getting the feathers off!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
Thanks. I was thinking that but I wasn't sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:31 pm »
Wow, absolutely amazing work. Those are beautiful arrows. Interesting that the fletching is the same pitch and wrap technique Otzi, the iceman, used on his arrows.

Kyle

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:08:41 pm »
Nice looking arrows.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:01:04 pm »
Amazing.  I'm curious what the shaft spine measures and the weight of the points?.....or do you care in the case of these arrows?

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:42:22 am »
Beautiful arrows, that person is going to have quite the set up!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:34:02 pm »
Real nice arrows!  Are the markings from the era of "runes", with actual meaning, or more or less trademarks?  May have to try that in Celtic Ogham letters. Good work!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:32:30 pm »
Nice arrows.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:56 pm »
Excellent arrows.  :OK

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
I don't deal with anything that heavy ...but very cool looking arrows.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 12:19:33 am »
Very nice arrows wills. As always a pleasure to look at. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 09:39:01 am »
Great looking arrows. I might have to steal some of what you did with these. Especially the recess for the fletchings to sit. Any idea how heavy the heads are?

Kyle

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:02:52 am »
I want to see more on making the heads!!!!!!!!!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."