Author Topic: Advice on crooked bow limb  (Read 1819 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Advice on crooked bow limb
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
Heh guys,

I have this roughed out red elm stave that I have been having a trouble getting one crooked end straight. I have tried boiling it twice and steaming it once to try to get the crooked end straight and it still will not straighten anymore than this. Will this amount of crookedness be okay to make a bow out of as it is or do I have to try straightening it some more? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Advice on crooked bow limb
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »
See how it looks at low brace(when ready). Under tension is the only way to tell how the string tracks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:19:06 pm »
As long as the string lines up with the handle you're good to go, although if the string is nearer the left or right side of the handle it will decide which limb is the top one.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:54:06 am »
I recently gad this happen on a bow couldn't get the limbs to budge so I steamed the handle like stuck said as long as the string lines up you'll be alright

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 08:20:04 am »
That will easily straighten out with a good heat treating. Tiller to brace or a little more to see the amount you need to shift. Clamp belly up to a 2x4 (you can add some reflex as well) and bend a little further then needed and heat for 30 minutes with a heat gun.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:23 am »
update: check Simon's wide limb osage thread, he does exactly as I do for straightening: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,60854.15.html