Author Topic: Eastern Cottonwood for a Selfbow  (Read 4509 times)

Offline blindarcher

Eastern Cottonwood for a Selfbow
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:09:51 pm »
Hi All,

Has anyone made a selfbow from Eastern Cottonwood?  I have cut some staves from a Cottonwood but have some hesitation to use it for a bow of any substantial draw weight due to low modulus of rupture, elasticity and compression strength.  My fears may be unfounded.  I noticed a definite heartwood similar in appearance to Osage Orange.  I am wondering if I should remove the lighter colored wood down to the top layer of heartwood as one would do with Osage.  I would appreciate input from others.  Thanks!

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Eastern Cottonwood for a Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:20:33 pm »
Your fears are justified if it's cottonwood. The way you described the heartwood though it sounds like you might have a black locust. Cottonwood shouldn't have a yellow orange heartwood.  Locust has a somewhat similar bark to cottonwood. Any chance you can post a pic?
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:48:55 pm »
The leaves should tell you whether it is locust or cottonwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:15:49 am »
I wouldn't use it. Find some bow wood nearby. Maple, oak, hop hornbeam, elm, hickory or ash.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:29:21 am »
Cottonwood has interlocking grain making it nearly impossible to split. Locust splits fairly easily.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:33:19 pm »
Thanks All!  Attached are pictures that may help identify the tree.  I am pretty sure it is of the Poplar family and likely an Eastern Cottonwood.  I have built many bows from materials such as Maple, Osage Orange, Hickory, Red Oak, Elm and Ash, but never Cottonwood.  These staves may just become firewood, or just an experiment if I get bored.  I was surprised on how heavy the staves are, but this may be just a high moisture content given the time of year.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:37:04 pm by blindarcher »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
Looks like Eastern Cottonwood to me. I don't think it's a very good bow wood.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
Mulberry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:47:18 pm »
Dog gone it Stringman, I do believe you are correct. The leaf in the pic doesn't have that characteristic little dip. Mulberry makes a great bow! :BB

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:53 am »
Good eye Scott.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 08:57:54 am »
Yup, and that beats the tar outta cottonwood for bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 09:12:35 am »
I love being right once in awhile.  ;D

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:29:48 pm »
Yep, if that was cottonwood you'd still be trying to The last strings apart from splitting it. It would not split like those staves. I grew up poor in Indiana and burned a lot of trash cottonwood to heat the house. It's a bear to split.

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »
You guys are awesome!  Thanks very much for helping me solve this mystery.  The comments about the heartwood and difficulty in splitting cottonwood threw my for a loop, because it split easily, it appears heavier than what I expected for cottonwood, and the mulberry explains the heartwood.

Cheers to y'all!

Offline blindarcher

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 07:05:07 pm »
In all my excitement about the news that this is Mulberry, I forgot about my original question.  Anyway, I had assumed that the white exterior wood is sapwood and the darker wood is heartwood, similar to  that found with Osage.  So, should I remove the whitewood down to the top layer of heartwood for the bow back?

Dopey me.