Author Topic: A couple more staves?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Iowahedge

A couple more staves?
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »

Are either one of this worth saving?  Working on cleaning up the latest batch of suppose to be a fence post, and dont know if the knots - how wavy the grain runs if they will make a bow or not.  These two are 72"

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: A couple more staves?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:28:02 am »
Never worked Osage. But I think you got some keepers there. Cheers- Brendan

Offline shofu

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:41:34 am »
ditto but they look better than most of my wood..
G
Cheers,
George

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:12:10 am »
Chase a ring in each and get to it - there's Bows there to make  :laugh: :BB ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Linc

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:22:30 am »
Those look like premium staves compared to some that I have worked on. :BB

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:23:24 am »
Those are valuable staves Iowahedge.There's some fantastic snake bows in there.Many on here would like a crack at getting a bow out of them.Good rings and not much twist.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:44 am »
Looks fine to me, you can also knock off a belly split off those staves and have 4.

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:40 am »
Guess I better get the other 3 "staves"from the same post cleaned up a little and see if there any good. There still green. Do i need to clean up the backs more to let them dry for awhile or well they be ok with just the bark off. Id leave the bark on and ends sealed and let them dry that way but they didnt receive much care after they were dropped cause they are suppose to be fence posts. Think the guy said they had been sitting for two months. So they got bug damage that hasnt been to bad yet but if i leave the bark pretty sure the buggers will get them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:59:14 am »
Nice character staves you've got there. They can teach you a lot about building wood bows if you listen to them.
 The big knot on the left hand stave looks like you violated some rings. Be sure you get below the violations when finding your back ring.
Osage is a lot easier worked when green. You can remove the bark and sapwood but be sure to seal the back and ends well. You can work them to floor tiller stage now and they won't take as long to dry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Iowahedge

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:02 am »
Im sure I did damage a ring on the knottier one. Was just trying to get below the bugs and see if there was solid wood underneath the damage. Didnt see the knot till it was to late.  Sprayed them with a few coats of lacquer will they be ok as in the picture or should a chase them down to a ring and reseal them before I store them away. Got some better for my skill level staves that are alot straighter. So Ill be putting this away for awhile or until I run into some one that wants one.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:28 pm »
Sorry, can't agree. Those staves are no good and you will waste your valuable time working on them.
If you want, I'll come around and take them off your hands!

Just joking of course, Those two wriggle laden beauties should make stunning bows.