Author Topic: Why did my Osage bow split laterally? Is it important to rub in oils?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline dvdhlwy

Does an Osage bow require that oils be rubbed in to keep it from cracking or splitting?

Offline osage outlaw

No.  How old was your stave when you made the bow?  Where did you store the bow?  Can you post some pictures of the crack?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

Were you heating it with dry heat when it split? Did it happen while seasoning? If so, did you remove the bark and/or chase a ring before letting it dry?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

no (AT)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
With wood ... stuff happens...
Prob' just a flaw in the wood.
Pic might tell us more....
Laterally is still ambiguous...I'm assuming the split ran along the bow with crack going back to belly, or was it along the bow but like a delamination of a ring.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

Del couldnt have said it better some times with natural materials there is unseen flaws not all osage is created equal but with out a pic or more info it would be hard to say on yours but some times you can do every thing right and still get beat by a bad peace of hedge.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

No, in general. And no oils needed during heating.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer