Author Topic: Trapping  (Read 7044 times)

Offline DC

Trapping
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:18:28 pm »
I'm starting on my first Black Locust bow. I've read that it should be trapped. How much is the norm for trapping? Make the back "x" inches narrower than the belly. Solve for "x" :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Trapping
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:32:47 pm »
Do you want to trap it? Or, do you think you need to? The latter would be very false.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
DC, I'd say 1/8" total or 1/16" each side but I doubt it is anything cut in stone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:02:22 pm »
I have never done any trapping, so not sure if it is necessary, but am open to learning something here,, (SH)

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:17:45 pm »
It's just that this is the first time I've made a bow from wood that I'd heard could use trapping and I had no idea how much. I'm used to high crowned wood ans this is also the first no(well almost) crowned wood I've had. The back is flat so if BL does want trapping I think this is the piece. I'll just slope the sides a bit. :D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 04:20:28 pm »
I'm in for learning to I want to try trapping hickory !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:56:19 pm »
maybe on a design that is a bit aggressive or overly stressed it would become more necessary,,,, but I am just guessing,,
I have a black locust bow,, 20 years old and still holds straight profile,, it is wide and long,, overbuilt a bit,, (AT)

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »
I have done only one BL bow from a tree about 5 inch dia. the belly is 1/4 wider than the back. I think a low crowned one would want the most trapping.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
I did a yew bow this year and trapped it instead of thinning the sap wood.  I've done several, usually just high tension bows.  I just make my bows as normal, parallel/square, and when I get to about 10 lbs. over the weight I want, I taper the edges 45 degrees, narrowing the back.  I've also tapered early and kept it going during the reducing/tillering.  Either works depending on the wood.  But even on a square bow I tend to roll all the edges so I have no sharp lines,  so I get some tapering on the back and the belly.  Point being, for me, to really be trapping I have to go a full 45 degrees or more because by the time I round everything and sand it down the edges make radius that blur those lines.   So make the trapping obvious so that even after final sanding, it is still obvious. 
The trapping can/should happen where the limb works the most, performance-wise, but you can carry the tapered edges clear to the handle and tips if you want that look.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 02:30:37 am »
Reduce the back to about 75% of the width of the belly. Trapping on such a stave (if the wood is 'average') with a flat back will reduce set.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:16 am »
Trapping makes sense on high stressed bows, as short limbs, narrow limbs, high stressed designs.
On wide, normal length, normal design - I wouldn't do.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:15 pm »
As suggested by the late and great Forrest Nagler, trapping should be between 10-15% of the bow's width. That means that the trapping actually changes with the width of the bow at that point - greatest at the fade, least at the nock. And, technically speaking, I think that every bow, no matter the wood, would receive benefit from trapping since most woods (if not all?) are stronger in tension than they are in compression.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 01:10:22 pm »
define benefit,,,,,I dont disagree,, just dont understand (--)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
Trapping is one of those bow building things you simply cant prove, but only believe it helps.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 01:44:58 pm »
Wouldn't heat trapping the belly accomplish the same thing ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !