Author Topic: Willow Bark Fibres  (Read 1447 times)

Offline legend

Willow Bark Fibres
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:44:01 am »
Hello all ,
I am throwing a question out on the forum to find out if anyone can give me any further information . I know that if you strip the main outer  bark from the branch of a willow tree and then snap the branch to expose the inner fibres , these can and have been used as a kind of string / twine to bind and secure things like axe heads , spear points etc because of their strength . Does anyone know if its possible to use these same fibres as a Bow backing material ? They could even be combed out possibly like sinew !
Thanks

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Willow Bark Fibres
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:01:15 am »
Are the fibers strong? If so there is no reason why it couldn't be used as a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline legend

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:51:02 am »
Hi Pat ,
yes the fibres are strong when put under pull tension length ways , but just wondered if you would have to dry them out first or not then soak them to soften them up ?
thanks . And would they stretch when under tension as the bow is drawn ?
Mike

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 04:44:46 pm »
If you're talking about what I think is known as the bast then Otzi had what was believed to be a bow string made of it, but that was from a lime tree. He also had several other cords made of bast so it's probably fairly robust.