Author Topic: Bow of the Month change  (Read 17390 times)

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Bow of the Month change
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:10 am »
Those of you that enjoy and/or participate in Bow of the Month we have a new person who is now handling BOM.  He is ready and willing and we are so excited he has stepped up to the plate.
If you have sent in any entries of Bows since the last contest, please resend to "Stickhead" - Tom Allen. 
And give him a hearty welcome and a gracious Thank You! for coming alongside and keeping BOM going.

Calendargirl
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow of the Month change
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
I'd like to thank Cipriano for all the time and effort he had contributed to BOM and to the PA site in general. Cipriano is a long time member and like most of our members he has contributed a great deal to this wonderful site. Cipriano stepped forward to take over BOM when it was needed and has done a great job with it but now it was time for someone else to take over the task.
 Thanks Cipriano for all you've done for PA over the years.  We all look forward to your contributions to PA in the future and to more snake skins as we need them.
 I also like to welcome Stickhead, our new BOM moderator. Tom has volunteered his services to take over BOM. BOM is of the members and for the members so lets all welcome Tom to his new position and help him get through this transition. Without bows to post we don't have BOM so when you are finished with a new bow, submit it for BOM consideration. Don't think you are not good enough to submit a bow for BOM consideration. Everyone is welcomed to enter and all that is necessary is a full draw pic. Other pics are welcomed but you need at least a full draw pic to be considered. This is another way of becoming a better bowyer by knowing you will be going up against some of the best wood bowyers around so you will go the extra mile to make the best bow you can.
 If folks that won BOM once or more and don't want to be considered for BOM just be sure you indicate "not for BOM" and Tom will not add your bow for consideration.
 Now, let's get back to building bows and arrows and helping others learn how to be the best bowyers they can be. THats what it is all about...passing on the tradition of classic archery!!!   :OK

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:12:07 pm »
Well said PatB!  Cipriano carried the mantle for a very long time and carried it well.  We have had some awesome members step up over the years with this project that was started by Don Berg.  We have greatly appreciated all that Cipriano has done for the BOM as well as the guys before him.  It isn't a job for the faint at heart. We are pleased that  Stickhead was willing to carry on the tradition of BOM.

If you have any ideas on what you want to see with BOM please send those on to Tom.  Looking forward to seeing the new bow entries.

You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:51:16 pm »
Do you still need a subscription to the magazine to submit a bow to bow of the month? I know when i finish a good one i would like to submit mine, but i don't intend on getting the magazine so i thought i was out of luck, but then Pat was saying anyone can. So i don't know.

To clarify, i don't doubt the magazines are great and a lot of effort goes in to them. But, i'm young and i rely on the internet for my reading and have never subscribed to any magazine. I don't plan to either because I have never found interest in the ones i've picked up laying around. I guess i'm too ADHD and am very selective of what i feel i want to read or i loose interest fast, hence i realy on web searches to pull up what i would like.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »
You do need a subscription, Greg.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
You can get an E-mag subscription at a cheaper price I believe.  You can download it and read it whenever you want. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 06:10:16 pm »
Thank you, Cipriano for your service to BOM and thank you, Stickhead for becoming our new BOM moderator

Aaron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:06:09 pm »
You want to submit your bow for BOM consideration but you don't want to support the magazine that gives you this site. How does that sound to you, Greg? I've been ADD for 67 years and have supported PA since the magazine first came out over 25 years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:25:06 am »
I was biting my tongue, Pat B, but glad someone said it.  Like you, though I am younger, I have been a subscriber since almost day 1.  Do I agree with every article? No.  Do I read every issue cover to cover? No. But they are the only publication out there for this hobby and this site is worth its wait in gold.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:19 am »
If participation is a concern I don't think forcing a subscription is the answer. Imagine if you had to subscribe to the magazine to enter or join this site. How far would it fall? As far as BOM has the last 4-5 years? I don't know if the mandatory subscription is what knocked BOM down or if it was just a natural down slide. I know I cant blame Cipriano for it, that is certain. I do know when BOM was "open" it was crowded with a lot of bows every month. It wasn't uncommon to have 8-12 bows in each category. Now we scratch to even get a head to head competition some months.

I wish we could set up a poll. Id love to know how many site users are also subscribers to the magazine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:00:12 am »
If participation is a concern I don't think forcing a subscription is the answer. Imagine if you had to subscribe to the magazine to enter or join this site. How far would it fall? As far as BOM has the last 4-5 years? I don't know if the mandatory subscription is what knocked BOM down or if it was just a natural down slide. I know I cant blame Cipriano for it, that is certain. I do know when BOM was "open" it was crowded with a lot of bows every month. It wasn't uncommon to have 8-12 bows in each category. Now we scratch to even get a head to head competition some months.

I wish we could set up a poll. Id love to know how many site users are also subscribers to the magazine.

Well we already know that doesn't work, been there done that. 

Still how would you all feel if this board closed its doors permanently?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 09:12:52 am »
Member contribution cant be measured by money sent to PA magazine. Greg contributes a lot to this site. Lets just say he takes offense to the above comments and leaves for good. Who wins?

Id like to see it opened back up like it was years ago and all parties will benefit, not just one.

I have a subscription, so this isn't personal. Its about healthy growth for both entities.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 09:38:40 am »
Member contribution cant be measured by money sent to PA magazine. Greg contributes a lot to this site. Lets just say he takes offense to the above comments and leaves for good. Who wins?

Id like to see it opened back up like it was years ago and all parties will benefit, not just one.

I have a subscription, so this isn't personal. Its about healthy growth for both entities.

Obvious answer, no one wins, we all lose.  However, this site takes money to maintain, and that money comes from PA magazine subscriptions and ads. For me, I am willing, and yes I feel obligated, to "pay to play."  No different than going to a benefit dinner where there is no charge, just a donations jar.  Some people will leave a 5, some leave a 100, some eat and run.

No offense was meant, but that does not mean none will be taken.  I am hoping we an have a discussion without too much emotion.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 09:41:00 am »
That's why I typed it, Kyle. To open some dialogue and hopefully constructive.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
I have to agree with Kyle. PA Magazine needs our support. Subscriptions support and advertising supports PA Magazine. They have supported us for many years with this forum and all they ask is for subscriptions and/or advertising to help out. They even made it easier by offering on line subscriptions for those who don't want a hard copy. If they were a large corporation with millions of subscribers and multiple advertisers it would be a different story (those guys would probably have even stricter rules) but PA is a Mom and Pop business that actually struggles trying to keep things going for us. 
 As far as BOM goes, of course it has helped PA Magazine because folks like to see all the beautiful bows we post and we all like to see ourselves in the magazine...but without the magazine we wouldn't have BOM or this forum. Pay to Play is a good way to put it, IMO so if you want your bow to be considered for BOM I think your contribution isn't too much to ask. You do get to use this forum for free, you get info and advise on wood bow building, etc from some of the best of the best, heck I've even seen folks from the forum offer wood and other supplies to help a new guy(or gal) get started or get their first bow shooting.
 I think this is a good discussion and believe me, it will stay civil...or else.  :OK